I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy before holiday

User
Posted 12 Sep 2019 at 17:28

hubby had been invited for Biopsy on Monday. He says hospital have a cancellation. I have a concern that yesterday they said the MRI report was not available so how does that tie up. 

Also having read some horror stories about biopsies I am worried that it’s too close to holiday which will be 11 days later.

User
Posted 12 Sep 2019 at 20:24
It's only a biopsy, the main impact on your holiday is likely to be messy sheets. If you were planning on a lot of sex, perhaps either pack some condoms or an extra towel. Having said that, it isn't a definite thing. John had his biopsy on the way to work, never thought about it again because he wasn't expecting any problems, no blood in his urine or ejaculate, nothing. I think he had nearly forgotten it ever happened until the appointment letters start arriving for scans and follow up appointments with the urologist!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 12 Sep 2019 at 20:28
PS just because the results aren't available to you doesn't mean they are not available to the urology team. Plus it is sensible for him to have the biopsy even if the scan is clear, just in case the scan missed something.

If he delays the biopsy until after the holiday, it is going to be a long wait for the results and recommendations of the MDT.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 12 Sep 2019 at 20:41

Thanks - some good points. He had Sepsis in June so I’m a bit worried about infection as were off to Mexico! 

User
Posted 13 Sep 2019 at 00:01
Sometimes, with TRUS biopsy and to a lesser extent with a Template one, an infection develops which proves difficult to overcome notwithstanding antibiotics supplied at the time that the biopsy was done. I would suggest that should the short course not appear to be effective that further antibiotics secured and taken.
Barry
User
Posted 13 Sep 2019 at 02:55
Urinary tract infections and sepsis are potential consequences of any prostate biopsy, but are more likely with a TRUS (up the bum) biopsy than with a trans-perineal procedure. The incidence of complications is however in the low single-digit percentile.

He will get anti-biotics after the biopsy and that should limit the risk of infection.

Go for the biopsy next week and enjoy Mexico. I am there in two weeks, so keeping an eye on the National Hurricane Center website!

Best of luck for a good result, and enjoy your hols.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 13 Sep 2019 at 05:11

Make sure your travel insurance would cover you in this scenario.

ulsterman

User
Posted 13 Sep 2019 at 06:54

If he delays the biopsy until after the holiday you will both spend the time wondering if you did the right thing. I'm pretty sure that could spoil your holiday and it will no doubt prolong the time until you get a diagnosis.

Either way enjoy your holiday and we'll all be here for you.