I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy confusion... continued

User
Posted 15 Sep 2019 at 15:43

we have been talking on and off over the weekend.... recap on previous post is hubby has had mpMRI  a week or so ago and was comfortable that any biopsy would be after our holiday to Mexico in 2 weeks. He then got a call with a cancellation for a biopsy tomorrow. Here’s where we are:

He has not had any conversations with a consultant other than when he had his DRE. He has no idea what his MRI showed. He’s had 2 letters over weekend stating different consultants. He’s been given conflicting info about eating or not. One states info given at pre assessment..... that he has not had! Anyway given his recent Sepsis and the upcoming holiday he rang the hospital and luckily managed to talk to admissions team who said he should definitely NOT have it 11 days before and that clearly they had booked it not taking either of these known facts into account. 

What a mess! He’s feeling relieved he called and that he is now not going to be worrying if he feels a bit under the weather on hols that the Sepsis is back but TOTALLY p****d off at the lack of due diligence on their part. Also worried that this will be the norm and that a low standard of care is ahead.

Rant over. 

User
Posted 15 Sep 2019 at 19:43
I must admit that I don't really see the issue with having a biopsy 11 days before a holiday. It leaves you feeling a little bruised for a day or two. No longer than that.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Sep 2019 at 20:00

I think it’s the susceptibility to Sepsis that he has. The gp would not even draw some fluid from his elbow for same reason. He feels more relaxed again now as it was worrying him. 

User
Posted 15 Sep 2019 at 20:01
I see. I hope you're able to get the matter resolved rapidly.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Sep 2019 at 20:38

I imagine that he was put under one consultant with a plan for template biopsy under general anaesthetic (so mustn't eat) and then the cancellation came up on a different consultant's list for tomorrow with a template biopsy under local anaesthetic (where you can eat). When you get back from holiday, he will probably be put under the care of whichever urologist does his biopsy. Admissions clerks are rarely medically trained - it seems a shame to miss the opportunity but if he is relieved, then it must feel like the right thing for him.

It would be easier to put posts like this on your existing thread where all the information can be kept together. 

Edited by member 15 Sep 2019 at 20:39  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Sep 2019 at 20:49

Yes that could be it. He was concerned as the consultant he saw at the beginning had said don’t have the biopsy within 14 days of your holiday but he was then booked in with 11 days to spare. I’m sure it’s being overly cautious but he does seem relieved. I hope putting it back is not material. He is going to call again 1st thing 

User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 00:59
In the grand scheme of things it won’t make much difference whether the biopsy takes place today or in a month or two.

Go and have a great time in Mexico and worry about these things when you come back. As someone else here mentioned, make sure your travel insurers are up to speed with his medical condition, i.e. recent sepsis, awaiting investigations.

Cheers, John.