Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

T3b + N1 diagnosis - would love to hear from others

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 09:51

Hello,

My husband has recently been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, it has spread to the seminal vesticles and a couple of local lymph nodes. He has started hormone therapy and will start chemo next week, with radiation to follow. I've read a lot of encouraging stats on PC that has spread to regional lymph nodes, which seem to suggest that this is still very treatable. Am remaining positive but feeling quite alone and scared and would love to hear from anyone that has been through a similar diagnosis? 

Thank you for reading,

Molly

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 16:23
Hi Molly if you click my picture you can read my profile. I am G9T4N1M0. However they didnt know that until after I had surgical removal. If they had known beforehand I wouldn’t have been offered surgery but would have been offered your route which seems appropriate. I had 18 lymph’s removed and 5 were cancerous. However I’m 4 1/2 yrs on now with barely any treatment as they never offered a curative path. I didn’t want RT after surgery as felt I’d been through enough already.

Good luck with your treatment plan

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 17:33
Hi Molly Mae ,sorry your in this position.My husband Gary was diagnosed in December 15 with similar stats ,PSA 23 Gleason (4+5) spread to lymph nodes .

Gary had 6 sessions of chemo which thankfully went without problems still managing to work everyday .He is now on the stampede trial and his PSA has been undetectable at <0.01since May 2016 .

Hopefully your OH will have similar results .garys main symptoms now are fatigue but still continues to work 5 days a week in a manual job just a bit slower . Our life is still good if not different and manage to go on lots of holidays .

Good luck and keep us updated .

Best wishes

Debby .

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 17:40
Hi.

I’m also locally advanced T3B N1 M0 with PSA at diagnosis of 20

I had surgery in May (where the T3b was established). Not been offered Chemo, Hormones or Radiotherapy at this stage.

So you can see there’s a range of treatment plans out there.

Think the messages you will get back from here is that locally advanced prostate cancer can be well managed/ treated.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 18:53
Hi Molly Mae, my husband had the dave diagnosis as yours in April 2018. He is on hormone treatment and had chemo. He cooked brilliantly with chemo main side affect was a few days of bone pain managed by paracetamol and fatigue. He managed to work all through chemo.. Helped by the fact he could work from home. His PSA on diagnosis was 23 and has been 0.1 for the last year. Our day to day life hasn't changed, he's on the Stamede trial and gets tested 3 monthly which is when we have a couple of weeks of being anxious until the result comes in. I have found this site invaluable.

Regards

Karen

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 10:03

Hi Molly,

I'm pretty much the same as your husband but a few months ahead. I have my 5th cycle of chemo tomorrow with radiotherapy after that. I've found chemo a breeze tbh and have worked / exercised all the way through. ( I know its not the same for everyone ). I only have 1 x dodgy node and believe that it will get zapped when I get radiotherapy, still not sure why I wasn't offered surgery to remove node like some on here!

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Regards

Chris 

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 10:57
If you had surgery to remove the node you would still need RT to be sure, hence you might as well just take the RT as there are less side effects than surgery / RT combined and the remmision rates are similar.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 16:23
Hi Molly if you click my picture you can read my profile. I am G9T4N1M0. However they didnt know that until after I had surgical removal. If they had known beforehand I wouldn’t have been offered surgery but would have been offered your route which seems appropriate. I had 18 lymph’s removed and 5 were cancerous. However I’m 4 1/2 yrs on now with barely any treatment as they never offered a curative path. I didn’t want RT after surgery as felt I’d been through enough already.

Good luck with your treatment plan

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 17:33
Hi Molly Mae ,sorry your in this position.My husband Gary was diagnosed in December 15 with similar stats ,PSA 23 Gleason (4+5) spread to lymph nodes .

Gary had 6 sessions of chemo which thankfully went without problems still managing to work everyday .He is now on the stampede trial and his PSA has been undetectable at <0.01since May 2016 .

Hopefully your OH will have similar results .garys main symptoms now are fatigue but still continues to work 5 days a week in a manual job just a bit slower . Our life is still good if not different and manage to go on lots of holidays .

Good luck and keep us updated .

Best wishes

Debby .

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 17:40
Hi.

I’m also locally advanced T3B N1 M0 with PSA at diagnosis of 20

I had surgery in May (where the T3b was established). Not been offered Chemo, Hormones or Radiotherapy at this stage.

So you can see there’s a range of treatment plans out there.

Think the messages you will get back from here is that locally advanced prostate cancer can be well managed/ treated.

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 18:53
Hi Molly Mae, my husband had the dave diagnosis as yours in April 2018. He is on hormone treatment and had chemo. He cooked brilliantly with chemo main side affect was a few days of bone pain managed by paracetamol and fatigue. He managed to work all through chemo.. Helped by the fact he could work from home. His PSA on diagnosis was 23 and has been 0.1 for the last year. Our day to day life hasn't changed, he's on the Stamede trial and gets tested 3 monthly which is when we have a couple of weeks of being anxious until the result comes in. I have found this site invaluable.

Regards

Karen

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 10:03

Hi Molly,

I'm pretty much the same as your husband but a few months ahead. I have my 5th cycle of chemo tomorrow with radiotherapy after that. I've found chemo a breeze tbh and have worked / exercised all the way through. ( I know its not the same for everyone ). I only have 1 x dodgy node and believe that it will get zapped when I get radiotherapy, still not sure why I wasn't offered surgery to remove node like some on here!

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Regards

Chris 

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 10:57
If you had surgery to remove the node you would still need RT to be sure, hence you might as well just take the RT as there are less side effects than surgery / RT combined and the remmision rates are similar.
User
Posted 19 Sep 2019 at 09:15

Thank you so much to each and every one of you for replying, it means a lot and I already feel so reassured. It's slightly worse than I first thought, as it turns out the PET scan also showed up something on the L2 vertebrae so we need another scan to determine if this is another met. A bit of a blow since the first bone scan came back clear. However he is in good overall health and I've read that it's a good thing he is being put on the docetaxel straight away. Has anyone found Reiki helpful as a way to deal with chemo?

Best wishes to all of you and wishing you good health. 

Molly