Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Psa raise 5 years after brachytherapy

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 15:05

I thought I’d add latest psa readings on here incase anyone is following, I know there were a few others who had brachytherapy at a similar time to dh. 7 years ago. Almost every psa test he has it has raised (was fine the first few years) It was 0.99 6 months ago, that was slightly lower than the time before. But his results this time are 1.8 so a big jump. He was told when it reaches 2 he will need to return to the consultant. I guess we just wait until the next test in 6 months, but dh has put a call through for the consultant incase he will speak to him now. 

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 16:53
The threshold value for "recurrence" is nadir+2, so if the nadir was, say, 0.5, recurrence would occur when his PSA reached 2.5. A PSA of 1.8 is not abnormal for a man who still has a prostate.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Nov 2022 at 17:02

Thanks. The lowest psa reading was about  0.07 (I think, can’t remember the exact reading, but definitely definitely zero point zero something) So the consultant said when it gets to 2 dh would need to return. As it has almost doubled in 6 months I’m assuming that’s definitely not good news. 

Edited by member 01 Dec 2022 at 16:43  | Reason: Wrong word

User
Posted 01 Dec 2022 at 18:05

The consultant phoned this evening. He said dh’s psa shouldn’t be 1.7 so he’s asked for another psa test at the end feb. When it reaches 2.1 he’s to return to discuss what to do next. Dh found out this year that he carries the BRCA2 gene. If we had known this when he was first diagnosed perhaps prostate removal would have been recommended. 

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 14:01

Hello. I thought I’d post an update incase anyone is following. Dh spoke to the consultant about his psa slowly rising. He suggested another psa test in 3 months. So 1.7 last time, 3 months later it is 2.1 so that is 2 above the nadir. The consultant said he’d see him again once it goes over 2. Dh is reluctant to phone the consultant with the latest result though. We knew it was going up but the jump from 0.9 to 1.7 in 6 months was a much bigger jump than it had been doing. Dh will phone him next week. It’s 8 years since the brachytherapy. 

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 10:12
Hiya Sam, Yes I have been following you and all other LDR cases that I could possible help with by offering my own experience and

PSA meanderings. You can click on my profile for a bit of information but I think to run you through my treatment path will be helpful.

I am rapidly approaching my 79th birthday and have complete faith in my very talented Urology Professor

My LDR procedure took place in Bart's at the Royal London on 20th April 2010 ,13 years ago next month. My lowest PSA reading

ever was 1.0(Nadir) back in November 2012. During the post procedure years my PSA has slowly, very slowly, meandered up and down and currently sits at 3.3, down from 3.8 in October 2022. For the past 3 maybe 4 years my Professor of Urology, a lovely man,

and I have agreed that no further scan or biopsy will be considered until PSA has breached 5.0. I have regular PSA blood tests and

never take my eye off the ball(Needle). The doubling of my PSA from 1.6 in March 2012 to now has taken 11 years.

I continue to play Golf 3 times every week and ride a mountain bike 2 times each week for an hour or so. This is not an admiration seeking exercise but an encouragement to all LDR patients and to those considering LDR as a treatment.

I would be very happy to offer any further details of my experiences. I continue to keep in touch with other men who over the years

have been interested in my opinions via this website. I drift in and out of prostatecancer.uk most days.

Best wishes

Chigwell2010.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 11:09

Wiosal, I think the next step is a scan. They might want to do a bone scan first, but unless it shows it's incurable, what you really want is a PSMA PET scan to identify exactly where the cancer is. Hopefully, that will show one or two spots outside the prostate which can be zapped with SABR. If it's inside the prostate, options might be focal therapy (if the cancer is focal, i.e. one or two spots) or salvage prostatectomy.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 17:03

Thanks for reply Chigwell. It looks like your psa moves about a bit. Dh’s went as low as 0.02 where it stayed for several years. Then started to creep up, slowly at first. But it did a jump from 0.7 to 1.7 in 6 months. Then 1.7 to 2.1 in the last 3 months. So is going up faster now. All we can do is wait and see what the consultant says. We know a few people who have had brachytherapy. Their psa has either stayed more or less on the nadir. Or it has slowly crept back up and the cancer returned. One of them is no longer with us as he left returning to the consultant too late. Another has had his prostate removed and reconstructive surgery. Another is about to try hi-fu or other type of treatment. They are all a fair bit older than dh. But as those we know whose psa had risen again all had a return of cancer, it made us assume that would be the case for dh as soon as the psa started to rise. I can’t see why else it would rise as much as it has. 

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 18:07

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
But it did a jump from 0.7 to 1.7 in 6 months. Then 1.7 to 2.1 in the last 3 months. So is going up faster now.

Just to make you feel a little better about this, the PSA rise has slowed down in the last 3 months, not speeded up. It is the doubling time that is measured, not the numbers so your OH's doubling time in the second half of 2022 was 4.7 months and for the last 3 months is 9.6 months

Hope you get some reassurance or certainty soon

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Mar 2023 at 11:01

Thanks. Will keep you posted. I just need to persuade dh to phone the results through to the consultant. He’s reluctant. He is already saying he doesn’t want treatment because he’s worried about side effects. But we don’t know for definite that it has returned. 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 14:53

PSA reading this week is 2.8 so that’s up by 0.7 in 3 months. So still on the up. DH will phone the consultant Friday morn. to see what he says. (Too busy today and tomorrow, apparently) The consultant said 3 months ago that once it’s up to 2.2 he will need to go for a MRI scan. No idea what happen next as DH has already said he won’t have another biopsy. I’m sure it is very painful to have a biopsy but I can’t see that there’s any other way to tell what grade cancer it it, that’s if it’s cancer again, which I’m sure it will be. But I guess we can think about that when it comes to it. 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 19:45
I don't think they will recommend another biopsy - they already know from the first biopsy what type and grade of prostate cancer he has.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 20:31
Thanks Lyn. Do you not think it’ll be a new cancer? As dh had 4 years or so with very low psa. I assumed that meant that one had gone and this would be a new one.
User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 21:33
It is certainly possible but I don't think the oncologist will be particularly interested in knowing - so unlikely to offer a new biopsy unless your OH really pushes for one. What matters to the onco is where the active cancer cells are - in the prostate or further afield - so that they can decide what treatment is available and when is the optimum time to start it. I could be wrong but I don't think you should over-worry about how you are going to get him to agree to a biopsy that may never be required.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 21:45

Thanks. I am not that worried about his decisions. It’s up to him really. He’s in no hurry to phone the consultant with his psa result. It is actually the radiologist he’s been speaking to. So will just wait to see what he says. 

User
Posted 13 Jun 2023 at 15:30

Well at least things are moving quickly. They are sending dh for an MRI. After that a telephone consultation. If cancer shows on MRI they said dh will have a bigger biopsy than last time under general anaesthetic. He said the psa definitely should not be going up but that it was still low so no urgent worry. 

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 19:46

Latest psa 4.9 that’s quite a big jump. DH said nothing was seen on MRI but I didn’t hear the telephone conversation. So he was sent for a psa PET scan. We are now waiting for the next telephone consultation for the results. DH says PSA has almost doubled in 3 months. I think it’s more like 4 months or so. All we can do is wait now to see what is suggested. DH is convinced it is in his spine, he’s had a bad back for many years, it has been much worse the last few months, but i am sure it won’t be in his spine. But I can understand why he thinks the worst all the time. I am sure something would have shown on the first MRI if it were bad news. Will update when we know more. 

User
Posted 30 Sep 2023 at 09:34

I have made a new post instead of adding to this one. Scan showed cancer in lymph nodes near his belly button. But apparently not in his prostate. 

I just wish they’d checked sooner. As soon as the psa started raising each test it was obvious something was up. The consultant said doubling time is just over 3 months.