I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psa raise 5 years after brachytherapy

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 19:00

Hello. I just wondered what other people’s psa results were like 5 years on. Husband had brachytherapy almost 5 years ago. After 18 months psa went down to 0.01 where it stayed until 6 months ago it was 0.05 then this week it was 0.07 is this normal or should we be worried. It says online that there should be concern after 3 consecutive raises. Obviously only 2 at the moment. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. 

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 20:04
He still has a prostate so the PSA is expected to rise as healthy cells regenerate. As long as it stays below 2.0 all is well.

The thing about 3 successive rises applies to men that have had surgery.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 20:20

Ok thanks very much Lyn. 

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 07:16

There doesn’t seem to be much on the internet about psa after radiotherapy. All I can find is that once it reaches nadir after 18 months to 2 years, it should remain there. Even on this site it says if it raises 3 times in a row (after brachy or RT) then it may be recurring. I guess all we can do is wait another 6 months for the next test. 

Edited by member 21 Sep 2019 at 07:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 23:01
No - it is not expected to stay at nadir for evermore. The point of biochemical recurrence is nadir + 2
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 19:29
Mine started rising after about five years , got to 3.1 had scan , had three tumours ,

Please see my Bio

regards Barry

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 20:33

Thanks Barry. We don’t know what to think really. I guess it’s wait 6 months for next psa. As Lyn says he could just be producing more psa as the prostate is still there. But I know a few people that have had brachytherapy and theirs isn’t rising. It is raising very slowly anyway. 0.01 to 0.05 after 6 months then up 0.07 6 months later. So up .06 in a year. 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 21:08

It would help to put the timeline with PSA values and treatment dates in your bio.

The other thing that's important on the timeline is when he finished taking hormone therapy.

Also, I presume we're talking about seed brachy here, not HDR brachy?

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 21:25

Thanks. I did write all details originally. Then I couldn’t sign in on my old account. So I created a new user name that I am now using. I can’t remember if I put any details in under this name. I had everything written with dates, it’s annoying I can’t sign back into that account  

Yes seed brachytherapy. He didn’t have any hormone therapy. He was told it wasn’t needed. We know 3 people that had brachytherapy with the same consultant. None had hormone therapy. We were told hormone therapy shrinks the prostate down ready for treatment. But as the prostate was of normal size they said it wasn’t necessary. I have heard from others on here on my original thread that that isn’t correct. 
But at that time we just did as recommended. 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 21:35

I just contacted the help page to ask if I can get my old account back (when I sign in it says wrong email address but I’ve always had the same email) all the info is on there. I went by the name of sjtb if anyone wants to read bio. Thanks. 

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 07:44
A Quick Point

My PSA slowly started to rise , over two years after my 37 sessions of RT

and three years on Prostap

I had a PET/CT scan when I hit 3.1

it showed three small tumours ,

I seen an Onco privately after I was advised by another member on here

I asked could I have six sessions of Docetaxel Chemo as well as going back

on Prostap , I have now been 0.04 for almost two years now and they are going to

put me on intermittent therapy if my next PSA test comes back 0.04

I am so glad for the member on here who contacted me

I was TB3 with a Gleason score of 4+4

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:26

For newer members, here is sjtb's previous profile with history https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=profile&u=17880 

and in the most recent 10 posts, a lot of the back story can be read.

sjtb, I would add this link to your new profile and / or copy from your old profile into your new one?

In the context, I think it is super news that his PSA is still 0.07 👍

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:42

Some people get readings like 0.07 as in the previous post.

All I got from my assigned cancer care nurse in July was that My PSA was less than 0.1 which means undetectable.