I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prediabetic

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 21:43

I finished my 3 yrs Zoladex over 12 months ago and am getting a lot better as far as side effects are concerned. I am about to get teeth sorted as a couple at least seemed to have crumbled. However at last 'normal' NHS health check at GP I was told I'm peripatetic, still in normal radio get but only just. I have never been, thankfully, anywhere near diabetes but I know it is a potential side effect of HT and putting on weight over the last 4 yrs doesn't help I suppose although it is slowly disappearing (weight increase put me up to max 83kg my pre treatment weight circa 67kg max, currently just under 76kg). Suppose I am getting some symptoms of diabetes - tiredness, passing water a bit frequently etc but they could well be cancer treatment related. Have many people been in this situation and is it likely to improve as fitness improves& weight decreases? My diet has always been good, have exercised, don't drink, don't smoke etc so ordinarily should be able to avoid diabetes. I do intend to get checked again in Oct probably (although the nurse [not GP] I saw said cancer treatment nothing to do with it).

Peter

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 23:32

If your GP wants to put you on an anti-diabetic drug, ask specifically for Metformin. It is beneficial for prostate cancer patients, and has been found to reduce recurrence in diabetic patients. Not everyone gets on with it, but you might as well start with that one. Non of the others have the added benefits for prostate cancer patients.

Incidentally, were you being tested for diabetes while you were on HT, and do you know if you were becoming prediabetic back then, or only just recently?

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 13:31
Andy thanks for your comments. The diabetes thing came up for 1st time in July this year during routine nhs health check at GP surgery. Have these routine checks every year, nothing mentioned in the past so assume no previous issues re prediabetes. I'll remember about the metformin in case it comes to medication, I'll see GP towards end Oct probably.

Peter

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 15:57
I have been T2 Diabetic for many years, controlled pretty well by diet and exercise. There are some doctors who consider that "pre diabetes" is simply diabetes that isn't bad enough to treat yet.

Metformin is OK but it gives me bad gastro problems, some people can take it without problems.

Ask for your results in figures, if you haven't had an Hba1c then ask for one, it will give an accurate diagnosis.

Whatever you do, do not ignore it, diabetes can cause a lot of problems, heart, eyes, feet, and a lot of other things.

I currently have heart failure, retinopathy of the eyes, and some other minor things, possibly as a result of diabetes, even though I have had it under close control for many years. Have a look on the Diabetes UK forum, lots of information there.

Geoff

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 22 Sep 2019 at 15:16
Yeah no intention of ignoring it, I will go to GP in a few weeks to get the bloods checked again. I am assuming my prediabetes is a result of medication/treatment/weight gain etc but we know not to assume for too long although I do think it will ease given I hope to get a lot fitter stronger lighter etc. I do think it's just an indication that blood sugars a bit higher than they were, I have had these routine nhs checks for a few years and no issues before. I'll keep metformin in mind if it comes to that.

Peter