I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Insight/guidance please?

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 12:05

so after having an mpMRI hubby had a call from a nurse (not his consultant as promised) where she advised he definitely has cancer and they are booking him for a bone scan. He was at work and a bit broadsided so did not ask questions. She mentioned a scale of 1 to 6 and he is 5. He had not had a biopsy yet so I cannot imagine this was his Gleeson scale? His biopsy is not the day after we return from Mexico.

i have to say the duty of care to his emotional state had been appalling.

Does anyone know what this numbers scale might be please?

we are trying to be positive as essentially what will be will be. Determined to have a good holiday in a weeks time!

Thanks 

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 14:14
Hi Spouse,

I think you should incorporate this new information into your original post, rather than having two threads on the go.

I don’t think anyone can interpret the grade of cancer (if any) solely from an MRI scan, and you will have to wait until the biopsy results for the definitive picture.

I find it unfortunate that a nurse would phone you out of the blue and mention some spurious figure without reference to the scale it’s on, especially as I understand it, PCa cannot be diagnosed by an MRI scan alone.

Off you go to Mexico - tropical waves are on the move across the Atlantic - and worry about all this s**t when you get home.

Cheers, John.

P.S. I hope you didn’t book with Thomas Cook, like we have done for Cuba at Christmas!
User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 14:43

Probably a PIRADS score, which is a number from 1 to 5 (not 6) indicating the likelihood of cancer from an mpMRI scan. 5 means that cancer is pretty certain, but you knew that was the case already, I think? A bone scan is entirely routine - don't worry about it.

As John mentioned, it'll make life a lot easier for everyone if you have a single thread that you post updates to rather than starting a new thread each time.

Go away and enjoy your holiday. With your husband's low PSA score it's overwhelmingly likely that his cancer is completely treatable.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 21 Sep 2019 at 14:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 22:12

Thanks  Chris and John.  It’s certainly a journey of discovery right now! 

John - fingers crossed for your holiday - we were likely to be impacted by the BA strike which thankfully was called off.

Sue