Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pain after catheter removal.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 14:54

Hello

I had my catheter removed 5 days ago. The only thing now is that the end of my penis can feel really sore/aches with some sharp stabbing pains sometimes. I know it's been through a bit of a trip. Just wondering if this is "normal"?

Cheers

Hj

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 15:19

Happened to me.

Went to A&E and they did a urine dip test which didn't show any infection, but they looked at the blood test result I just had and decided there might be an infection and gave me a few day's antibiotics, because they thought if there was an untreated infection, I might be back in on drip with IV antibiotics if it spread back to my recently irradiated prostate.

I suspect it was caused by abrasion from the catheter which might have got infected (I don't know for sure if it was infected), but the stinging only went slowly - almost gone 6 weeks later. I had some swelling at the site too, but that's long gone.

In my case, the catheter was for bladder irrigation after HDR brachytherapy (which generates lots of bleeding inside the bladder, which needs continuous irrigation to wash out the blood), and it kept getting blocked with blood clots, and there were 2 nurses working on it to try and unblock it a few times. All the extra handling and moving around probably caused the problem.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 15:38

Hi HJ

I had redness and soreness at the end of my penis, this gradually went away, in a week or so.

Its likely the tip is traumatised with the catheter, but like Andy said send urine tests to ensure there isnt infecion.

I had RP .

Best wishes

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 16:49

Hello Andy 62

Thank you for your reply. I had my prostrate removed 3 weeks ago with robotic surgery. There was an issue with inserting the catheter, it took a lot longer than expected, it seems there was a narrowing of my tube due to an unknown injury(!).  The pain/ache levels have been better since I started my thread. Getting everything in the right place, penis, pad and underpants does seem to play a role, living and learning. I'm not passing much blood, my pad does have a pinkish colour to it late in the day but I am pretty happy on that front. Passing urine is not sore, sometimes more a slight discomfort.

Off to the GP for a diabetic eye test tomorrow, so will ask for a urine/infection check to see if anything is a miss.

My urine, since the catheter came out has always been very clear, where as my day bag was always pretty yellow.

I hope your flows and bleed outs settle down. I wish you well.

Hj

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 16:52

Hello Thala

Thank you for your reply. I am sort of hoping it is just getting over the trauma of removal, in my minds eye it seemed like gutting a fish and that picture has stuck.... As I mentioned to Andy62 it does seem to be getting better on the soreness front, just learning how to live with it.

I hope you are good and best wishes.

Hj

User
Posted 02 Oct 2019 at 12:02

Hi Andy62 and Thala,

Followed your replies and left a urine sample with the practice last wednesday. Got a call Monday to say it was positive, started AB's in the evening and things are looking better.

Cheers

Hj

User
Posted 15 Nov 2019 at 19:10
After my catheter was removed post RP I had stinging whilst peeing. I put this down to the trauma of having a catheter for 10 days but after a week of being uncomfortable I went to my GP who tested my urine and detected an infection. After a 7 day course of antibiotics the stinging remained and the doctor prescribed another course of antibiotics!! The moral of this story is go see your doctor sooner than later.
User
Posted 16 Nov 2019 at 13:20

A problem with UTI's is there are loads of different bacteria which can cause them, each with their own effective antibiotics and antibiotic resistance issues. There's quite some pressure now not to dish out antibiotics for UTIs without having the urine cultured, to determine exactly which antibiotic will work on it, but this takes several days in the lab. When that's not done, it's common for the first random shot-in-the-dark antibiotic to fail. UTI bacteria vary between areas of the country, and each area has a notion of the most common ones, and a nominated antibiotic to tackle those, and when a shot in the dark is merited because the risk too high from waiting a few extra days for culture to grow and be tested against antibiotics, it can still be done.