I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Diagnosed having the op and time to blog

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 17:00

So I like many here have been diagnosed with PC that's not to say I was non PC before hand although it had been said! My name is Alastair and I am 58 years old.

My immediate reaction was actually ok lets get the PC out so I can carry on with life. I actually did not give it a seconds thought and now 2 weeks on and having read up as much as possible still consider I am doing the correct thing by having it removed in early October.

My positive steps to try and help others are

a) to set up a monthly donation to this charity
b) to create a blog of my whole journey so I can always refer anyone there in the future if I meet them. 

If anyone is interested you will find it at

https://aprostateblog.blogspot.com/

Also feel free to refer any friends or family to it if it reflects what you are going through and finding it hard to talk about. I know not everyone finds it as easy as me to openly talk about the issues involved.

Wishing everyone the best possible route to a good and healthy cure.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 17:00

So I like many here have been diagnosed with PC that's not to say I was non PC before hand although it had been said! My name is Alastair and I am 58 years old.

My immediate reaction was actually ok lets get the PC out so I can carry on with life. I actually did not give it a seconds thought and now 2 weeks on and having read up as much as possible still consider I am doing the correct thing by having it removed in early October.

My positive steps to try and help others are

a) to set up a monthly donation to this charity
b) to create a blog of my whole journey so I can always refer anyone there in the future if I meet them. 

If anyone is interested you will find it at

https://aprostateblog.blogspot.com/

Also feel free to refer any friends or family to it if it reflects what you are going through and finding it hard to talk about. I know not everyone finds it as easy as me to openly talk about the issues involved.

Wishing everyone the best possible route to a good and healthy cure.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 18:12
Why not write your posts here rather than referring people to an external site? It would be enormously better to refer people here than to a blog. This is where they'll be able to get the information they need.

Very best wishes for your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 20:53

Hi Alastair,

No worries about it.  I do a blog of sorts, it's a free Google Site, and it has links to other information.   I should say did a blog really as there isn't much to write at moment and the longer that lasts the better.    It's referenced on my profile.   

To be honest my website got too rambling and the 'New' Google Sites I moved it to looks poor and I've lost interest in it.  But it remains along with my skin cancer one which is 10 years old.

In some ways I regret not have a rolling post on here although you can write an update and if it gets 20 comments then that's how far people have to scroll to find the updates.  Some people have 3000 responses and 10,000 views and keep popping up. If you write a lot of separate comments they get lost.

On the other hand the profiles on here are a great reference and I often read them sometimes to make a better reply and sometimes just to find out what someone experienced.  Sometimes it can be uplifting and sometimes rather sad or worrying.  Some people have 10 years of treatment or more and there are so many experiences everyone is a bit different. Some write a lot and some not much. 

My website has quite a few personal ramblings that I wouldn't write on my profile but I like the profile to be a sort of heart and the website to be the branches.

I notice you haven't written anything on your profile yet, but what you do is up to you.   All the best for your op.

Edited by member 23 Sep 2019 at 21:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:21

Alastair

I have read your blog today. Very impressed, a lot of valuable information well presented. 

I would add as much of the blog to your profile as is possible, with the understanding that loss of pictures will have an effect on its impact.

Highlight the blog link, I think it’s valuable reading.

It’s  past time that this Forum was modernised to allow pictures and maybe links to media resources like YouTube

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:51
You can put up links to youtube in the current system, as long as the content is appropriate and does not cause a melt-down in the moderators' lounge

When the existing membership was consulted on the format for the new forum (the one we are using now) we almost unanimously felt that photos were undesirable - there was a limited facility in the old system and it got rather irritating. Can you imagine, hundreds of uploaded photos of variously rose - dark red coloured urine, wounds, a bruised perineum ... let alone the 'this is a photo of me and my dog who is my best friend', 'here is a photo of me leaving the hospital', 'these are the flowers my neighbour sent me' ... yuck.

Anyone who feels a desperate need to upload photos can do so by posting a link to photobucket, dropbox, flip or any other similar site, or by linking their blog in their profile. That is how we have shared photos of the Leicester meet in the past and also how Yorkhull shared many of his updates.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 18:12
Why not write your posts here rather than referring people to an external site? It would be enormously better to refer people here than to a blog. This is where they'll be able to get the information they need.

Very best wishes for your treatment,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 18:34

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the support,

I have set up the blog as it is also my way of communicating with friends and family and I said before somewhere I can easily refer others to in the future.

I asked the charity if they wanted to be made aware of the blog and they advised me to post it here.

Best wishes 

Alastair

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 18:34

Hi Alastair

Please  start a topic on here for people to read  about your journey.  Obviously if you want to port your story to a blog site then that is your choice but please duplicate it here.

This site is a repository of knowledge, help, advice and personal stories which are of great help to people who are just starting off on their PCa journey.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 18:43
Hi Pallance

I have addressed the reasons above to Chris, and I am also post other bits from other sites like the BBC on there.

I was aiming to help by letting people know about what i am doing but if this is not the way never mind. it was meant to be a positive thing.

Alastair.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2019 at 20:53

Hi Alastair,

No worries about it.  I do a blog of sorts, it's a free Google Site, and it has links to other information.   I should say did a blog really as there isn't much to write at moment and the longer that lasts the better.    It's referenced on my profile.   

To be honest my website got too rambling and the 'New' Google Sites I moved it to looks poor and I've lost interest in it.  But it remains along with my skin cancer one which is 10 years old.

In some ways I regret not have a rolling post on here although you can write an update and if it gets 20 comments then that's how far people have to scroll to find the updates.  Some people have 3000 responses and 10,000 views and keep popping up. If you write a lot of separate comments they get lost.

On the other hand the profiles on here are a great reference and I often read them sometimes to make a better reply and sometimes just to find out what someone experienced.  Sometimes it can be uplifting and sometimes rather sad or worrying.  Some people have 10 years of treatment or more and there are so many experiences everyone is a bit different. Some write a lot and some not much. 

My website has quite a few personal ramblings that I wouldn't write on my profile but I like the profile to be a sort of heart and the website to be the branches.

I notice you haven't written anything on your profile yet, but what you do is up to you.   All the best for your op.

Edited by member 23 Sep 2019 at 21:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 14:17

Hi Peter

You are right I could put the blog on the profile and just copy relevant pieces. At the end of the day I was simply sharing information, thoughts and processes for those who need to know. 

I assume your free Google one is blogger like mine.  https://aprostateblog.blogspot.com/

Another advantage is you can post pictures which you can't do on here and can be useful such as the page relating to the Gleason score i have posted on the blog.

Thanks for your response.

Alastair

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:21

Alastair

I have read your blog today. Very impressed, a lot of valuable information well presented. 

I would add as much of the blog to your profile as is possible, with the understanding that loss of pictures will have an effect on its impact.

Highlight the blog link, I think it’s valuable reading.

It’s  past time that this Forum was modernised to allow pictures and maybe links to media resources like YouTube

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:46

Thank you Pallance

I am think about the best way to approach this by copy and pasting.  Maybe as you say set up my own story.

Glad you enjoyed the blog.

Alastair

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:51
You can put up links to youtube in the current system, as long as the content is appropriate and does not cause a melt-down in the moderators' lounge

When the existing membership was consulted on the format for the new forum (the one we are using now) we almost unanimously felt that photos were undesirable - there was a limited facility in the old system and it got rather irritating. Can you imagine, hundreds of uploaded photos of variously rose - dark red coloured urine, wounds, a bruised perineum ... let alone the 'this is a photo of me and my dog who is my best friend', 'here is a photo of me leaving the hospital', 'these are the flowers my neighbour sent me' ... yuck.

Anyone who feels a desperate need to upload photos can do so by posting a link to photobucket, dropbox, flip or any other similar site, or by linking their blog in their profile. That is how we have shared photos of the Leicester meet in the past and also how Yorkhull shared many of his updates.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 15:59

Hi Lynne,

It is not a major issue for me personally I post photos on the blog as it makes it more interesting to read and they are referred to in the articles I have written. It just cause a problem if I copy and paste the text into into here.

I will figure out a solution.

Alastair