I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should Be Worried?

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 17:08

I'm back after 4 years! PSA then was around 4. Reading over the years have averages as follows:

2015 -4

2016 - 6.5

2018- 7

2019 - March 8 (NHS), April 9 (Private), September 10

I had biopsy 3-4 years with all 12 samples taken were clear. I've also had two recent MRI's showing nothing.

I'm seeing my consultant next week. I assume the next stage is a template biopsy? Or is worth waiting for another few months to see if it goes down with diet and lifestyle changes?

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 18:48
With a steady rise like that, I'd be asking for an MRI and biopsy if it were me.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 19:39

Hi yummy

Agree with Chris, with a PSA of 10, need biopsy.

I had a normal looking prostate in the right and subtle abnormality in left. The biopsy and subsequently RP showed Ca in right mainly.

MRI may not be completely foolproof.

Best wishes

Thala

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 21:16
Hhhhmmm - if you waited and it went down with lifestyle changes, I would constantly be worrying that it was a false low. Perhaps best to get the template biopsy over and done with - if that comes back clear then you may have to just accept that you produce quite a lot of PSA and agree a strategy with your urologist for future surveillance and a realistic point at which you would go through it all again.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 18:48
With a steady rise like that, I'd be asking for an MRI and biopsy if it were me.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 19:39

Hi yummy

Agree with Chris, with a PSA of 10, need biopsy.

I had a normal looking prostate in the right and subtle abnormality in left. The biopsy and subsequently RP showed Ca in right mainly.

MRI may not be completely foolproof.

Best wishes

Thala

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 20:35
I would want to know whether the MRI scans were the old kind or the more modern and infinitely more reliable mpMRI?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 20:38

Hi Lyn

it was mpMRI and supposedly good unit.

I could have been the unlucky one

BW

Thala

User
Posted 24 Sep 2019 at 21:16
Hhhhmmm - if you waited and it went down with lifestyle changes, I would constantly be worrying that it was a false low. Perhaps best to get the template biopsy over and done with - if that comes back clear then you may have to just accept that you produce quite a lot of PSA and agree a strategy with your urologist for future surveillance and a realistic point at which you would go through it all again.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2019 at 18:46

Thanks, sounds like great advice.