I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

prostate op

User
Posted 30 Sep 2019 at 18:23

Hi,I am 68 years old and have just joined the forum,and dont really know what I am doing at the moment on the site. After the biopsy I was told I am at stage three,and the prosate is very bulbous.I have had a CT scan today before the op goes ahead .I was wondering if any one out there has anything they can tell me about it,like the after effects and rehabitating. Thanks, rjp

User
Posted 30 Sep 2019 at 19:45
The best thing you can do is download the "toolkit" from the information area of the site. It contains a wealth of information about all aspects of prostate cancer and the various treatment. Alternatively you can phone the nurses on the Freephone number at the top of the screen and ask for a paper copy.

Very best of luck with your surgery. Do you have a date for it yet?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 30 Sep 2019 at 20:58

Hello rjp,

You haven't given any details of your tests and diagnosis so far, e.g. PSA, staging (T3xNxMx - do you know the 'x's?), PIRADS score (from MRI scan), gleason score (from biopsy)?

It sounds like you decided to have a prostatectomy, instead of radiotherapy. I hope a clinician has gone through the differences and the pros and cons of both. We can certainly do that here, but it helps to know your detailed diagnosis. Does the surgeon expect to be able to do nerve sparing (leaving nerves required for erections intact)?

You will get loads of help here, but we probably need some more information about your diagnosis.

User
Posted 30 Sep 2019 at 21:18
Hi,

You can read my contemporaneous notes about my prostatectomy and recuperation below:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t16224-Retzius-Sparing-Laparoscopic-Radical-Prostatectomy

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 30 Sep 2019 at 21:33

It's hard to say without knowing more but at Stage 3 you sometimes aren't offered the operation and Radiotherapy is offered to treat a wider area.

There is often debate about the best treatment for each case.  Usually a Multi Disciplinary Team discuss your case to allow both the surgeon and the oncologist to have their say.

Assuming that's happened and you're having the operation there is plenty of reading matter on here.  Some people have done write ups about their operations.   I have. If you read my profile and if you also click on the link to the separate website I did. There is a page about the operation and a page about the post operation.

I was wondering if you'e a private patient having a CT scan.  Most just have an MRI during diagnosis.

Everybody has different cases, different factors during the operation.   Although there is a pattern.  I thought the operation was fairly easy as long as you take it easy yourself afterwards for a while.

User
Posted 30 Sep 2019 at 22:17
Some people can’t have MRIs. I can’t now, because I have metal coils inside me (inserted to seal off an aneurysm in an artery).
User
Posted 02 Oct 2019 at 07:03

Hi, I have had a chat with the surgeon and oncology people, who went through the pros and cons.I dont feel that I want the radiation route and that the prostectamy will be a better option.The surgeon said that he will be able to save the right erectile nerve, but the left side is damaged already.The gleason score is (quote) 4x4 prostate cancer affecting both posterior zones,high grade tumouron the left also a 10mm lesion also on the left side with capsular bulging. Currant PSA 5.8 (unquote) Its all unclear to me,but when told what it means makes it clearer to take in.    Regards RJP