I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Why are so many GP receptionists living & working in the past?

User
Posted 07 Oct 2019 at 19:00

I don't intend this to be a generalisation as it's based on local experiences, but I suspect the practice is more widespread.

Example 1

When first diagnosed, and before receiving my copy of "a guide for men . . ." with all the data filled in. I called at my GP Practice to ask for copies of my PSA results, wishing to be armed with all facts before my first OPD meeting. The receptionist told me that the hospital would have a copy of the results.

Errr yes, I replied but I would like a copy in order to be informed prior to any meeting.

The receptionist, in a rather fidgety mood said "oh alright then, but you'll have to fill in a form".

Example 2

This is the one that always reveals their true colours, they never refer to "the doctor" they always say "doctor will see you now" or "doctor will write to you with the result".

The impression this gives is that "the doctor" is in fact some kind of deity, and cannot be given any prefix.

On one hand I find this mildly amusing, but also slightly frustrating.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2019 at 20:04
My receptionists at my GPs surgery happily print out any test results for me. No problems whatsoever.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 07 Oct 2019 at 20:35

I asked for online access. They had to tick a check-box, but now I get them online.
Only slight problem is that if anything is out of normal range, you can't see the result until one of the GPs has checked a box. If the results are all within normal range, then they appear as soon as the lab issues them to the GP.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2019 at 22:45

I have blood taken for PSA on a regular basis at my local surgery and when I call for the result it is printed off but they will only do this after my GP has seen the result. Sometimes one of several receptionists there - it is a large practice - will mention that the result is normal (because it shows it falls well within the range shown beside the result for my age group). On the few occasions that this has happened I point out the parameters shown are for men who have not had treatment for PCa so does not apply in my case, so please do not say my result was normal.

However, I will say that medical receptionists are increasingly being used like Triage nurses to establish priorities and decide whether call back by a Doctor, personal appointment or other arrangement should be made.  More onus is being put on them to relieve pressure on Doctors and this can have mixed blessings.

Edited by member 07 Oct 2019 at 22:57  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 07 Oct 2019 at 23:16

Hi

If I use a hospital issued blood test bag and have my blood taken at our local phlebotomy clinic,  my GP cannot get access to the result. The surgery only get the result if the nurse or doctor writes a letter to the GP. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 29 Nov 2019 at 19:38
I wouldn't be a receptionist for a pension. I have been behind people who have harangued them at the top of their voices in front of the whole sitting area.The receptionists in our surgery have gone beyond the call of duty for my husband and me.
User
Posted 29 Nov 2019 at 21:48

The default mode for my surgery is you ask and they read bits of it out (not necessarily all the bits you need). I got fed up with this and booked a GP appointment a few days after each test (which needs careful planning as you have to do that 3 weeks in advance), and the GP had no problem just printing out all the test result sheets for me.

Eventually I said to the practice manager that this is stupid and using up GP appointments badly. She checked a box on the web based appointments/medications system, and I now see all my test results on there the instant they arrive back. Except, if any of them are outside normal range, the GP has to check a box before it will let me see them. On one occasion when my GP was on holiday, I had to ring reception and explain my testosterone was supposed to be way below normal, so someone would make the results visible on the web.

It's more difficult for blood tests at the hospital. The proper way to do this is to request them via PALS and you get them in 30 days. In most cases, I managed to get staff to give them to me, although they are apparently forbidden from doing so. The other way I found to do this was to add my GP as a copy-to recipient on the blood test form, and then it appears on the GP's web system just like when the GP orders them.

This is all too bloody difficult.

User
Posted 29 Nov 2019 at 22:09
At ours, if you call in, the receptionist prints out the test results and hands them to you. Appointments & repeat prescriptions can be done online but the practice hasn't signed up to the online results facility.

John's consultant writes to the GP with all test results and copies John in. PSA test results done at the GP practice are notified electronically to the two consultants but if there is a problem, it is up to me to email the consultants' secretaries to flag it. In Dad's case, the GP informs Dad and I email the urologist's secretary the result.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 03:10
I am registered with the EMIS Patient Access Service and via their app, I have complete access to all my medical records on this ‘ere iPad or mobile, including consultation notes, test results, etc. I can book appointments and reorder prescriptions.

For example, I am having a PSA test at the local pharmacy (my GP surgery, the biggest in Coventry, doesn’t deign to do them anymore) on Tuesday, and I will be able to access the result on Wednesday morning.

Not every surgery is signed up to this service, but it’s very worthwhile asking if they offer it, and if not, why not? Which of course is likely to get you into conflict with the receptionist once again...😂

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 08:06

That's the same data I get with online web access.

My surgery periodically tells me to sign up with the mjog app which sounds similar to yours, but as I want the data on a desktop to transfer it in to my spreadsheets, I've just stuck with web based access.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 09:26

There is on-line access to EMIS via a PC as well, but I rarely use mine and there are also Android and Apple apps.

It helpfully shows test results in a graphical form, showing my PSA has flatlined at zero since my op. Fingers crossed for next week.

https://www.patientaccess.com/

Cheers, John

Edited by member 30 Nov 2019 at 09:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2019 at 11:40

I feel very lucky. Over the last two years all the staff at my surgery have shown me nothing but kindness. The receptionists know me, are always happy to print out results, always ask if I need to see a doctor urgently when I ring for an appointment. If the answer is yes then I usually get to see someone that day. The receptionists even filled out forms for me when I couldn't get my brain to work.

I do realise that this is not everyone's experience, but I can't praise them highly enough.

Best regards. Andy

I will jump the fence in front of me. I'll worry about what's on the other side when I land.

If I can't see another fence then I will enjoy the ride.

I won't fret about fences which may never appear.

If I see another fence then I will jump it.