Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Badminton after laproscopic robotic surgery

User
Posted 09 Oct 2019 at 20:46

Hello all

I am 9 weeks post surgery and want to get back to badminton, the one sport I play!

My abdomen wounds have healed.

Should be okay to play? 

Still troubled with day time incontinence issues though which is very slowly getting better.

I don't want the incontinence side of things made worse by playing.

Any comments, suggestions will be gratefully received.

This is indeed a trivial matter when compared to others in this forum and sorry for asking this.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2019 at 08:18
Should be OK, but listen to what your body is telling you. If you experience pain, then stop.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 10 Oct 2019 at 08:39

I would suggest you work up to it, if you haven't done anything yet. For example, first work your way up to some brisk walks which leave you sufficiently breathless to interfere with speaking, which take as long as you would expect to play badminton.

User
Posted 10 Oct 2019 at 09:50

Overarm shots, bending and turning could stress your stomach wounds.  It should be alright for gentle play.  The central stomach wound is the one that complains the longest.  It will definitely let you know.  It could be tested at home with gentle stretches and turns etc plus perhaps some stress like stomach curls, gentle planks, sit ups and leg raises. Starting light. 

If the stomach isn't fully healed beneath it's possible the bladder isn't.  The bladder wound needs care as it could cause longer term problems.

I had stress incontinence for a long time, it's very rare now. I've never done a lot of Kegel though.

Edited by member 10 Oct 2019 at 10:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Oct 2019 at 15:26
Thank you all...

Probably leave it another 3 weeks.

Peter - you mentioned ncontinence for a long time - how long may I ask? Really frustating...

Best

Thala

User
Posted 10 Oct 2019 at 21:49

Hi Thala,

I had the op on 16th Dec 2016 and this is what I wrote in my on line log:

Have never leaked at night but kept wearing a pad in bed until April 2017 when I could have stopped in February.

5th June 2017,  Stopped using incontinence pads.  After a failed experiment in late May I decided on 5th June, almost 6 months after the op, that the rarity of leakage was such I should risk not using a pad.  

6th August update: Only had two slight leakages, one associated with bending and lifting and the other seemed like I'd left it a bit late but in both cases it was negligable.

In February 2018 am completely dry except for one occasion. Amazingly my urine flow is enormous when I go to the loo, and I can hang on if I need to go.

In October 2018 if I leak at all it's if I bend over to say take off a shoe when I get home.  Although I'm usually wanting to go.

You might think this a little personal but some people have reported including myself that there is a slight wetness at the onset of sexual arousal and this for me has continued.

I haven't been regular at doing Kegels although when I do it has seemed to make a difference.

Normal Incontinence Progress
A piece on a website said at first you're dry in bed and deteriorate through the day.  Over time the deterioration slows so you might be dry in the morning but wet in the afternoon and then dry all day, or at least relatively dry.  Most say 3 - 6 months for dry, but not everyone

User
Posted 11 Oct 2019 at 08:32
Too soon to be doing anything "uncontrolled" like competitive sports.

If you are not yet fully continent you will leak like sieve playing badminton, and you may damage your recovery.

User
Posted 11 Oct 2019 at 15:54

Thank you Peter

Thanks francij1 - duly noted

Thala