I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MPMRI biopsy

User
Posted 16 Oct 2019 at 21:46

Somewhat concerned about how serious are some consultant urologists about MPMRI. I am 73 fit but suffer from panhypopituitarism which involves me taking a hormone cocktail including testosterone. My PSA reading was 6.2. A digital examination revealed no abnormality. I was referred for a MPMRI which was assessed as a PIRADS score 2 ie unlikely to have significant prostate cancer. According to anything I have read that should mean no biopsy. In fact the first phone call I received with results said that a biopsy was unlikely. However the consultant sent a letter saying that since the MRI showed no evidence of cancer that was good news but would still like to do a biopsy. So a clean MPMRI is effectively being ignored and I am being asked to undergo a risky and possibly painful biopsy which according to the promoters of the MPMRI should not be required. Since they stopped me taking the testosterone as a precaution I cannot get another PSA as it is undetectable - my body no longer produces testosterone naturally. My wife's family who are all doctors are horrified by the consultant's letter and have told me not to consider a biopsy until they can do another PSA reading which would require me to back onto the testosterone for some weeks. But the main point is what is the point of the MRI if one of its advantages was supposed to be avoidance of a biopsy if that is not being accepted by consultants. It was a huge waste of public money.

User
Posted 16 Oct 2019 at 22:47
MRIs are not infallible - false negatives are relatively common. I had a "clean" MRI scan but a subsequent biopsy found cancer. It really is best to have a biopsy.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Oct 2019 at 02:08
It would be an irresponsible urologist who decided not to bother with a biopsy; the optimum pathway is mpMRI followed by biopsy targeted to any suspect areas; biopsy followed by MRI is the next best option. To rely solely on a 'clear' mpMRI is just as risky as relying solely on a 'claer' biopsy.

My husband's prostate cancer was one of the ones that doesn't show up on an MRI; fortunately, he had the biopsy first and the cancer was picked up that way.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Oct 2019 at 04:31
Let me refer you to the NICE guidelines on mpMRI

1.2.2Offer multiparametric MRI as the first-line investigation for people with suspected clinically localised prostate cancer. Report the results using a 5‑point Likert scale. [2019]

1.2.3Offer multiparametric MRI-influenced prostate biopsy to people whose Likert score is 3 or more. [2019]

1.2.4Consider omitting a prostate biopsy for people whose multiparametric MRI Likert score is 1 or 2, but only after discussing the risks and benefits with the person and reaching a shared decision (see table 1). If a person opts to have a biopsy, offer systematic prostate biopsy.

In other words the guidelines are quite clear about what a consultant should or should not do. In other words my consultant,if following the guidelines, should make contact and discuss whether or not to have a biopsy. In doing so he or she would go over the benefits and risks - biopsies are not much better at finding PCa than the MRI which is now considered the first line gold standard. It does of course miss some cancers but has been shown to be much more efficient at finding significant cancers which would require treatment.

One of the problems of the biopsy is as NICE points out

You may be diagnosed with clinically insignificant prostate cancer. This is disease that is unlikely to be life-threatening, but will need monitoring and may lead to treatment. Therefore, if someone has prostate cancer that truly is clinically insignificant, it is better not to find it. Between 18 and 23 out of 100 people with a low-risk MRI get a diagnosis of clinically insignificant prostate cancer if they have a prostate biopsy.

In other words they get invasive treatment when it is not required.It is claimed that 25 per cent of those who get MRIs are 1 or 2 on the scale and therefore do not need a biopsy.

In a press release NICE said

"Multiparametric MRI is clinically cost effective as it will reduce the number of biopsies performed. Additionally, cancers are more likely to be detected and identified earlier, therefore, reducing the need for further treatment."

And Lyn my mpMRI is clear. There are no suspect areas - if there were they would be given a score of at least 3 but more likely 4 or 5.

What I am saying is are consultants following the guidelines or not.

User
Posted 17 Oct 2019 at 05:20

There is a urine test which claims to be almost as accurate as a biopsy, I don’t know whether it’s available on the NHS.

I insisted on a template biopsy and apart from pissing razor blades for the first couple of micturitions afterwards and a big purple bruise on my perineum, I had no problems with it at all - apart from a cancer diagnosis!

https://www.santishealth.org/prostate-cancer-information-centre/the-selectmdx-test-genomic-prostate-cancer-testing-without-a-biopsy/

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 17 Oct 2019 at 06:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Oct 2019 at 07:41
Hello

My mpMRI showed disease on left, but the biopsy showed Ca on the right, although the post op specimen showed disease both sides.

If you didn't have an enlarged prostate, then perhaps the urologist thought the PSA was disproportionately high?

Just a thought for you to ponder..

Thala

User
Posted 17 Oct 2019 at 07:51
It's your body and your decision as to whether or not to have the biopsy your urologist is recommending. All I'm saying is that if I were you, I would have it. But at the end of the day it's your decision.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Oct 2019 at 16:52

You will read what you want to read into the guidelines. Let me refer you (as you so courteously referred me) to your own quote:-

1.2.4 Consider omitting a prostate biopsy for people whose multiparametric MRI Likert score is 1 or 2, but only after discussing the risks and benefits with the person and reaching a shared decision (see table 1). If a person opts to have a biopsy, offer systematic prostate biopsy

Consider omitting, but only if you have explained to the patient the risk of relying solely on the MRI. It seems your consultant considered and ruled out omitting the biopsy.

I also think that your interpretation of the NICE narrative is taken out of context; over-diagnosis and over-treatment is a serious issue in our country, but over-biopsying is not the cause ... the problem is that men, once diagnosed, are often not confident with the 'low risk' approach of active surveillance. If diagnosed, no one is going to force you to have radical treatment.

If you know that you would not have treatment even if you were diagnosed, then save the NHS some money by not having the biopsy. My father-in-law regretted being diagnosed and refused any treatment that would affect his sex life - he only survived for 4 years but it was a very happy 4 years.  

Edited by member 17 Oct 2019 at 16:56  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Oct 2019 at 23:42
In view of what you say in your situation I would get a full copy of my histology and scan on a disc and get a second opinion from a top hospital before deciding on having a biopsy. (Some hospitals are able to call over the scan).There is no suspicious area to aim at from the MRI,so any biopsy should be a template one. Whether any tumour(s) found require imminent treatment would depend on Gleason and position and perhaps volumn,
Barry