Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

15 yrs on back to GP. Hot flushes return

User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 12:24

A voice from the past.

15 years on. Sep PSA 0.785. as its staying low consultant asked if I'm happy to be referred back to GP, fine by me.

Very long term side effect back:

Hot flushes, which never entirelly went away, are back with a vengeance (smiling). Consultant agreed it was past HT and my now running. Started C25K in June and now weekly 3 5K runs and either a long hike or an easy going10K run. Consultant would rather I ran than stop due to hot flushes. Hopefully you body will adjust - heard that back in 2004 (smiling).

Ray

User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 13:26

Worth getting a testosterone test, to see if that's gone.
It does happen, including in people who've never had prostate cancer and treatments.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 15:27
Hi thanks. No point in T test as even if low I wouldn't get or want any. Just have to go with it.

Ray
User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 15:34
Hi Ray, good to see you have taken up running and are still well - I think it must be 7 or 8 years since we met in sunny Skegness! Ideally you should wear cotton but there isn’t much natural fibre running gear available. Try sage tablets from Holland & Barrett or any big supermarket.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 20:33
Hi Lynn, I read John's PSA is very good and your dad's still doing well. You have by far a better memory than I, wife informs 8 years. Ill after last park run, my stupid fault as too much running in week, no pre rest day and wet/froze waiting to start. Like George (hope he is ok) being cold is a long term problem. So yes need to sort out clothes now it's getting colder. Thinking of those tops cyclist use but maybe not for running.

On HT quite surprised of the severity of impact after all these years. When first dx GP said hospital will deal with cancer it's the unknown HT long term side effects that concerns me as its unknown. ED pills no longer work but at 74 not bothered.

But have to be very pleased such issues are minor compared with some here.

Ray
User
Posted 21 Oct 2019 at 21:18
Yes, George is doing okay I think, although he has had a challenging year. John is fine - his PSA tips above 0.1 occasionally so never achieved full remission but the onco view is to sit tight and not assume - the only difference it has made to our lives really was that I pushed him to give up work early so that we can live a bit. Dad is just amazing; he has walked the Camino the last 2 years and has booked to do the second half of it again next June!

Might be worth trying a merino base layer from any good walking / outdoor shop?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 00:57
Wow, was "sunny Skegness" only 7 or 8 years ago, seems like twice that to me!

Pleased to see you back on the forum Ray and to read that your PSA is still down in your boots, so to speak.

Whatever happened to the chap with the VW campervan from London who organised the get together?

His name has slipped my mind (along with loads of other stuff) but I've a feeling he's still living life to the full.

Roger
User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 01:12
That was Bazza, wasn't it? Definitely not Alex - he was too tall for a campervan!
User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 08:10

Hi Ray

Pleased to hear you are doing so well apart from the hot flushes, agree with Lyn about the sage tablets they do seem to work. 

regards Barbara x

User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 11:45

Hi Lyn

Just had a look through the old forum's posts and found references to the Skegness get together and it was Ross (denden) from London who did the arranging.

He hasn't posted for a few years and it would be good to hear from him again, also his profile hasn't been updated for quite some time. 

I remember the day well and although very few of us turned up it was still good fun and great to put names to faces plus the anticipation of finally meeting the illusive "Old Al" which of course never happened.

You may remember I did catch up with him at his home a few months later which prompted me to wear a badge announcing "I've met Old Al" at the next Mill on the Soar gathering.

The newbies on here must think we were all mad or at least I was but those face to face meetings did so much to form stronger bonds between one another and gave much needed support at a more personal level than can ever be achieved on a forum alone.

Good times, great laughs and sometimes sadness at some missing faces.

Roger
User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 12:30
I have also thought about Ross who I met with others at meetings we had at at a motor cycle pub meet and also at Brooklands. There was another guy there whose name I can't remember, although I recall his wife was a curate or similar within the Ministry. I am sure that many of us would be interested to learn even briefly from time to time how they are doing and coping.
Barry
User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 19:28
Denden ❤
User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 21:22
Hi Roger / Lyn /Barry

thanks for "digging me up!" Yes still going strong and in remission at the moment!

"Murf" was the other chap who rode a bike and whose wife was a vicar, they live in Chertsey, haven't seen him for a while but he was doing very well when I did see him 2 years ago!

Still biking and i'm a Volunteer with a Blood Bike group delivering blood, platelets, human milk all over London in the dead of night for Surrey and London SERV service.

see you soon,

Ross
User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 21:53

Hi, well that was a nice read of posts.

In my head I had Ross in tough times, so glad I was wrong. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Barabara, probably will give Sage, as Lyn suggested, a try. My reluctance is reduced pills by half over last 3 months but if have to I will.

Barry still going strong, that's good news.

Roger yes it seemed longer than that to me but wife keeps records of our moves. Since Skeg only 1 rental and 2 moves, my feet are itching to go again but we see. My sister moved from Fishtoft to retirement place in Boston. Would be nice if those prices and service charges applied in my neck of the woods as we definitely would be packing boxes -:)

Old Al, met him as well at his place. Now that guys brings some memories back.

Be as well as you all can.

Ray

Edited by member 23 Oct 2019 at 21:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 22:33
How fantastic to hear from you Ross - and wow to the blood biking; I didn't even know that was a thing!

Murf ❤

I guess we are becoming the old crew?
User
Posted 23 Oct 2019 at 22:35
Ray, I am sure that when you left Skegness you said it was your final move? 😂
User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 00:59
Ross, how's that VW camper of yours going? Gotta be worth £50k at least now. :) Good on you for doing the blood runs and pleased to read you're still in remission.

Ray, you really must stop moving house, it's the only way to get yourself off of solicitors and estate agents Christmas card lists. If I recall correctly I told you a year or so ago we were about to move. Fast forward to this week when we are finally about to exchange contracts. It's only taken 3 years.

Been good to do the rounds and catch up with Jolly Fisherman gang.

Roger
User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 10:07

Hah Roger - Camper had to go when my girls turned into "grumpy" teenagers at around 15 and refused to go on camping weekends in it...and worse... forbid me to use it to take them to school as it "embarrassed" them in front on their friends!!!! 

And here was me thinking a souped up, lowered, customised big-wheeled and shiny VW Camper was the coolest thing to turn up at school in! Just shows you "cool" is relative to how much grey hair you have! Sold it about 5 years ago.

I still giggle at the visit to Skegness to meet "Old Al"...we were all sitting down waiting for him when someone ushered a couple in and they sat opposite on a sofa.

At last, we thought, Old Al has been tracked down! 

So we started talking about PSAs and PCa in general with the couple looking in more and more awkward until they suddenly got up after 5 minutes and said "Well we must go in for lunch now" and walked out!

They were complete strangers, nothing to do with PCa and only came to the hotel for lunch!!!!

The funny bit is the five minutes they quietly sat there saying nothing while we jabbered on!

User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 10:22

Lyn - yes the old squad - and hoping to get older! Nice to hear from you....

and Ray - glad I've proved you wrong there! ☺️

User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 10:33
Love it Ross, embarrassed school kids, just like the car adverts.

Be lucky bro.

Roger
User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 11:57

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I still giggle at the visit to Skegness to meet "Old Al"...we were all sitting down waiting for him when someone ushered a couple in and they sat opposite on a sofa.

At last, we thought, Old Al has been tracked down! 

So we started talking about PSAs and PCa in general with the couple looking in more and more awkward until they suddenly got up after 5 minutes and said "Well we must go in for lunch now" and walked out!

They were complete strangers, nothing to do with PCa and only came to the hotel for lunch!!!!

The funny bit is the five minutes they quietly sat there saying nothing while we jabbered on!

🤣🤣😳

User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 16:29
I didn't no about that meeting I would have joined you it sounds like you had fun, we live in skegness been there for 30 years now.

barbara x
User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 17:09
Skegness yeah. Went there this year by train from Sleaford, train packed with "foreigners" or so I thought due to the how they spoke but then realised they were from Nottingham on an annual pilgrimage. I call Skeg, "Nottingham on Sea" now. ;)

Great place in the winter when the place is quiet, free from the smell of candy floss and fish and chips and a walk along the dunes gets your lungs full of that great North Sea salt laden air/

Beats Cleethorpe hands down!
Roger
User
Posted 24 Oct 2019 at 20:49
Lyn, yes I did say not moving again but then life had other ideas. Which I think helps make the point just because you have/had PCa life will still do what it will.

Roger, ' about to exchange' I'm saying nothing to jinx that - good luck.

When I eventually go and see Sis she suggests I run along Skeg sands. Not so sure about that especially if a chilling wind is blowing. Possibly if fit enough Boston parkrun, time will tell on that.

Barabara, I never knew that. Circa 2 years in Skeg just off the Queens Rd.

Ross, oh yes I recall that couple. I thought old al had sent them in to sus out what's going on.

Ray