I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rising PSA after removal of prostate

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 07:46

Hi  i'm Ian i' m 59 yrs old  i was diagnosed in June 2016 and had my prostate removed in august 2016 , my PSA in Sept 16 was 0.28 so in Dec 16 i had a course of radiotheropy to get rid of any cancer cells left around the prostate area

But since that its slowly risen over the last 3 yrs ,  sometimes it went down then up , from march 19 it was  (1.46 Mar)   (3.01 June) now its  (4.7 in Oct)

i've  had Mri and cat scans all clear of cancer cells , but  had a cyst picked up on my kidney which the said was fine no treatment required.

doctors say i'm doing fine as my PSA is still low , but i'm still wondering why my PSA is rising , obviously there could be some small cancer cells in me to small to be picked up on scans etc.

they've said wait another 4 months to see PSA reading then so that's what the plan is.

i'm condsidering hormone treatment , but worried about the side effects they could have on me any views you have would be welcome or if your on this treatment what side effects you have. Also if your PSA has been up n down like mine

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 20:23
Click my picture and have a read of my profile if you like. And I too have a kidney /adrenal cyst. Nothing else on scans and psa over 190. Still on no treatment but scans very imminent again !!
User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 21:06
Clearly you still have active cancer somewhere which is not going to go away so all you can do is wait until the tumour(s) can be seen on a scan. If it is in a defined place away from the pelvis they may be able to offer some targeted treatment like an additional short course of radiotherapy but otherwise, the option is long term hormone treatment to keep it under control. The challenge is deciding the optimum time to reintroduce HT - you don't want it too early as it has a limited time of effectiveness but leave it too late and it spreads. Some oncos will recommend starting HT at 5.0 or 10 or even 20. Dad's onco has advised that rather than looking at the actual number, we wait until the doubling time is 6 months or less. Your onco should guide you on this.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard