I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bill Turnbull - Channel Four Documentary

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 16:23

Did anyone on here watch the documentary programme aired on Channel 4 about Bill Turnbull's PCa battle?

Lots of emphasis on the emotional impact of PCa on the patient and their family but little else IMHO.

So many lost opportunities to educate men and their partners about the condition, it's symptoms, diagnosis and the various treatments available.

I nearly fell out of my chair when Bill said he'd had the blood test done and he was diagnosed with PCa, what about the DRE, MRI scans, and biopsies, template or otherwise.  How many men will now assume a blood test is all that's required to give a diagnosis of PCa!

Also nothing about support groups.

Am I being a bit harsh and anything that raises the profile of PCa should be applauded or do others also feel that the "educational" aspect was sorely lacking in this programme.

Roger
User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 13:44
I hope the Radium works for him too. And yes whilst it was a little light on PCa specifics, ( I especially thought they could have put a bit more emphasis on the Steven Fry input), where as in his case if you catch it early enough it is completely curable, and that’s what needs to be driven home. However, I thought the programme was informative enough whist not scaring anyone about advanced PCa. During my 6 x radium 223 infusions it worked well fo me bringing both my ALP and PSA levels down to the lowest they’ve ever been. However as usual within 3 months everything was back on the rise so I jumped back on the chemo horse which again stabilised everything for a while, but as with everything after a total of 17 infusions it hammered my bone marrow to the extent that I’m now transfusion dependant if/ as my Hb levels drop below 80, (currently 98) after last transfusion 4/10/19 Anyway I wish both Bill and all the rest of us with advanced PCa all the best, with the knowledge that he still has other options ahead for him, eg I’m currenty on Lutetium 177, and I hope they follow this up with another follow up programme In the not too distant future.

Keep the Faith

J.

User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 21:03
Bill Turnbull talking publicly about his diagnosis has had a really significant impact on the number of men seeking advice about Prostate cancer checks.
User
Posted 29 Oct 2019 at 17:59

It’s a media prognosis

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 21:03
Bill Turnbull talking publicly about his diagnosis has had a really significant impact on the number of men seeking advice about Prostate cancer checks.
User
Posted 25 Oct 2019 at 22:25

If your PCa level is sufficiently high (in the high hundreds or thousands) to make a diagnosis of advanced PCa certain, the MRI and biopsy sometimes are skipped and they'll go straight for a bone scan.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 02:26

It was better than I thought it would be based on what I'd heard of it beforehand.

I would have liked to see more technical details about the treatments, but I suspect most viewers are more interested in Bill, and it is his personal story. I expect a flood of GP bookings for PSA tests will follow.

PCUK were well on the mark with getting their advert in first at the first commercial break.

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 11:26

I noticed at the end Bill is now having Radium 233 treatment. I hope it works for him.

Ido4

User
Posted 26 Oct 2019 at 13:44
I hope the Radium works for him too. And yes whilst it was a little light on PCa specifics, ( I especially thought they could have put a bit more emphasis on the Steven Fry input), where as in his case if you catch it early enough it is completely curable, and that’s what needs to be driven home. However, I thought the programme was informative enough whist not scaring anyone about advanced PCa. During my 6 x radium 223 infusions it worked well fo me bringing both my ALP and PSA levels down to the lowest they’ve ever been. However as usual within 3 months everything was back on the rise so I jumped back on the chemo horse which again stabilised everything for a while, but as with everything after a total of 17 infusions it hammered my bone marrow to the extent that I’m now transfusion dependant if/ as my Hb levels drop below 80, (currently 98) after last transfusion 4/10/19 Anyway I wish both Bill and all the rest of us with advanced PCa all the best, with the knowledge that he still has other options ahead for him, eg I’m currenty on Lutetium 177, and I hope they follow this up with another follow up programme In the not too distant future.

Keep the Faith

J.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2019 at 17:30
I wish my Oncologist was as positive as Bill's regarding prognosis.
User
Posted 29 Oct 2019 at 17:59

It’s a media prognosis

User
Posted 30 Oct 2019 at 00:22

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I wish my Oncologist was as positive as Bill's regarding prognosis.

Well Jasper you have had a brilliant PSA response to treatment so far which IS good news

User
Posted 30 Oct 2019 at 07:02
We talk with Oncologist today about radium 223 if recent scans are in my favour Geoff