I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy Pain

User
Posted 29 Oct 2019 at 15:07

My first post on here so apologies if previously covered. I was diagnosed with early stage Prostate Cancer in July, decided to deal with it via Hormone Therapy and Radiotherapy. Started Radiotherapy sessions last week, 5th session this morning, main problem like most is filling the bladder and holding on until RT session completed, but so far just about managing.

One thing I have noticed is that after sessions I get an aching pain in my left side, just above hip, feels like a muscle strain. Ache gets less as day goes on, but it is discomforting.

Mentioned it to Radiographer today, who suggested it was likely to be my body reacting to treatment, and not to worry, however if it continued or got worse she could refer me to consultant. was wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar during treatment.

Thanks

User
Posted 29 Oct 2019 at 18:21

Hang in there , how many fractions are you having ? Everyone is different ref side effects , your team will sort it and take note and hopefully will give you some reassurance . It’s early days . I didn’t get that pain BUT a friend of mine did I remember him saying he had aching bones especially the hips , but he pulled thru good , I had side effects THAT  he didn’t experience . 

User
Posted 29 Oct 2019 at 18:22

What was your psa /other readings ? 

User
Posted 29 Oct 2019 at 19:57
5 sessions is too early to get radiation-related side-effects; they tend to start in the latter half of the RT. It certainly sounds muscular to me. Perhaps a strain caused by moving yourself into the correct position on the machine?

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 30 Oct 2019 at 10:59
It could be that the x-rays have irritated the lining of the bowel. I have just returned from fraction number 11, and feel a bit sore in the lower abdomen, but was told by the radiographer that this is not uncommon half-way through the treatment.
User
Posted 31 Oct 2019 at 04:12

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
5 sessions is too early to get radiation-related side-effects; they tend to start in the latter half of the RT.

Can get symptoms way before that. I suspected a slowing of flow after second session, and it was obvious from the 3rd. Recovered through the 24h until next session. Recovered less as the sessions went on.