I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

urinary problems 14 months after operation

User
Posted 05 Nov 2019 at 18:30

It is 14 months since my operation and I am noticing a distinct change in periodicity (shortening) and flow (weakening) of urination. I am now feeling the need to urinate almost hourly and when I go the flow is very weak. Is this normal so long after the operation or should I be concerned and/or seek an appointment with my GP?

User
Posted 05 Nov 2019 at 20:41

Andrew

The slow flow could be a sign of a stricture forming in the urethra. What is your flow rate , just pee into a container and time how long it takes , then measure the amount of urine and divide volume by time. Are you still under the urology department and do they have a nurse clinic, if so speak to one of the nurses ? What type of surgery did you have ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Nov 2019 at 00:04

thanks for this - I will do the measurements when I return home. I had robot assisted keyhole surgery. I had an aggressive strain and there are still some cancer cells in the bed of the prostate, so I am having check-ups every 3 months. The symptoms are very much in line with a stricture. I was discharged from the urology dept and passed to the oncologists as my cancer has not been removed. I will contact the hospital when I get home. Thanks for the advice

User
Posted 06 Nov 2019 at 07:40

Andrew

There are a handful of us on here that had issues with migrating hem-o-lok clips following robotic surgery. The clips are routinely left in and should just settle in a corner somewhere and be no problem, occasionally they migrate into the urine system and can present the problems you describe.  Reading your other posts you are quite active. 

Our urology department set up a nurse led robot clinic that looked after us for two years post op, even five years later they still help out if I have issues, might be worth a phone call to urology.

You may be asked to complete a three day intake, output diary, where you record how much and what liquid you drink and how much urine you out put. 

Certainly get some medical advice.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Nov 2019 at 09:00

That's good to hear. Many thanks for responding - it's really helpful to get feedback from someone with first hand experience. I will post again as I progress with my enquiries. Best wishes.