Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Folate supplements

User
Posted 06 Nov 2019 at 09:02

Hi all

My husband is currently on chemo, his fifth session is next week. He has had some side effects but is doing okay. His diabetes has gone a bit haywire (as we were warned it would while on chemo) and that is being monitored a bit more closely by the practice diabetic nurse.

As part of those blood tests yesterday  they have rang to say his 'folates' are low and he needs to see the GP to get supplements. Has anyone come across this? I can only assume its to do with chemo medications - the leaflet with the injections (Filgrastim) says this can cause a low level of folates. 

I am cautious of him taking anything additional in case it affects the chemo or the cancer. An internet search comes up with stories of folates being linked to increased prostate cancer risk. Anyone had any experience? 

Mrs MAS

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 06 Nov 2019 at 09:31

I was on methotrexate for a long time as an arthritis treatment. It is a chemotherapy agent,

i had to take calcium foliage while I was on this drug.

My understanding is that the red blood cells get enlarged or out of shape reducing surface area for oxygen and iron uptake etc. The folinates ( iron) restore the red cells to a more normal size/shape. It isn’t to do with white cells or immune system.

Ultimately it prevents anaemia.

Ido4

User
Posted 08 Nov 2019 at 08:07

Thanks both. Our GP has started him on 400mg folic acid supplenents for three months. Repeat blood test in new year. 

Mrs MAS

Mrs MAS