I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy waiting times - does a quick follow up mean bad news?

User
Posted 18 Nov 2019 at 18:56

Hi

My Dad (67) has been monitored for years as his brother had prostate cancer at 50. A couple of months ago or a little longer, his PSA tripled to about 17 and so he had a scan. He’d previously had an MRI scan 18 months before which was inconclusive. At the time of the first scan, the PSA wasn’t bad.

Anyway, he had a biopsy last Monday and already received a letter today with an appointment for Thursday this week. That’s such a quick appointment! Does this mean bad news? I feel sick with worry!

Thank you for any replies.

**edit to say the second scan was still inconclusive 

Edited by member 18 Nov 2019 at 19:54  | Reason: More info

User
Posted 18 Nov 2019 at 20:57

I was rung up at 1.30 in the afternoon and asked to visit the hospital at 3pm that day.   I had an MRI and bone scan just a few days later.   On that basis I'd say sending a letter isn't fast.

There is a good chance it is something else.  Diagnosis is always a testing time and it's often best to have a realistically optimistic but cautious outlook.  I sort of guessed it when I met the nurse who gave me the biopsy result as her uniform said Macmillan on it.   Although maybe she'd have done it anyway.

That was November 2016 and so far so good.

Good luck, let us know how you get on. 
Regards Peter

User
Posted 18 Nov 2019 at 21:03

Hi Peter 

Thank you for your reply. How long after the biopsy were you called and can I ask what biopsy it was?

Dad’s was a transperineal biopsy.

**Edit** My concern is that they must have sent that letter 4/5 days after his biopsy. Like they had the results and got him in ASAP.

I read your story and can see that there were 11 days between your appointment and them calling. Which makes the 4 day thing really concerning. 

I know I just have to hold tight but my anxiety is awful.

I really appreciate the response.

Edited by member 18 Nov 2019 at 21:11  | Reason: More info

User
Posted 18 Nov 2019 at 21:26
I don’t think you can interpret anything from this; he would have had a follow up appointment with urology regardless of the results of the MRI and biopsy and it may just be that his hospital generates clinic appointments automatically.

Having said that, based on the data for the general population in his age group, he has between a 60% - 70% chance of having prostate cancer and the rise in PSA is not insignificant so it would be better to have someone at the appointment with him just in case he is told it is cancer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 18 Nov 2019 at 21:32

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I don’t think you can interpret anything from this; he would have had a follow up appointment with urology regardless of the results of the MRI and biopsy and it may just be that his hospital generates clinic appointments automatically.

Having said that, based on the data for the general population in his age group, he has between a 60% - 70% chance of having prostate cancer and the rise in PSA is not insignificant so it would be better to have someone at the appointment with him just in case he is told it is cancer.

Yeah, hoping it’s an automatic thing.

Yeah, my Mum is going with him. 

The last bit, although probably accurate, has me spinning a bit more though. I just wondered if the immediate letter made it more serious. Reading he probably has cancer isn’t great.

User
Posted 19 Nov 2019 at 23:28

I notice you read my profile for the answer. Sorry I didn't get back earlier.

I don't think the time is significant in relation to his condition. I thought 10 days for the result of a simple 12 pin biopsy must mean it more likely to be benign.

Most doctors seem less concerned about time with prostate matters.  They tell you it develops slowly, if it's there at all.  If it is serious they tend to offer hormones which can be started almost immediately.  If it's less serious they tell you it's slow developing.  Radiotherapy often includes hormones so hormones aren't just for the most serious.  Theoretically they have 31 days to diagnose and 31 days to treat after diagnosis. They often take longer.

There is some good fortune that the monitoring has caught whatever earlier than it would.  Some have no symptoms but it must have been developing for years and spread with psa in the hundreds.

I was ready for whatever and my wife took it worse than me initially.  Is your dad taking it reasonably.

Edited by member 20 Nov 2019 at 09:49  | Reason: Not specified