Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Extreme Pain - Looking for relief options and advice

User
Posted 18 Nov 2019 at 19:32

Hi all,

My father has exhausted all nhs available treatment with the completion of cabazitaxel earlier this summer (which had negligible effect). Since this treatment he has embarked on a clinical trial, however his condition is worsening. He is now experiencing extreme pelvic and back pain, which has pretty much rendered him immobile. He has been prescribed pain meds which are, oxycodone, pregablin and also paracetamol.  Due to the development of a dvt he takes daily tinzaparin injection and therefore NSAIDs are contraindicated due to risk of gastric bleed.  A recent scan indicated a pelvic fracture (the consultant said will repair its self and no intervention necessary??) Also he is having a stent to ureter and radiotherapy to pelvis (1 session) in coming days.

I would like to ask what experiences people have had and any suggestions you may offer with regards to other pain medications available. It is difficult seeing him in pain constantly and all that seems to happen is the dose of his current meds being increased to minimal effect.  He has also had oramorph which was changed for oxycodone. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

TIA

Mike 

User
Posted 18 Nov 2019 at 21:31
Is he under the care of the local hospice or Macmillan nurses, or are the pain meds all being directed by the hospital team or GP? Has he been referred to the pain clinic or palliative care team?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Nov 2019 at 22:08

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your reply.

He is under Macmillan nurse who has been increasing his dose but also initially prescribed by the hospital.  It feels like nobody wants to step on the other persons toes if that makes sense. He has no GP involvement at the minute.

He takes pregablin 200mg morning and evening, however I'm led to believe this is beneficial for nerve pain but not so much bone pain? Can steroids be used to help with pain? 

Regards 

Mike

User
Posted 19 Nov 2019 at 01:21
I would request a meds review - either from the hospice team or pain clinic. They are much better than most hospital staff or GPs at getting the balance right between pain reduction and the person being completely knocked out.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard