I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My first 6 monthly follow up

User
Posted 19 Nov 2019 at 12:48

I have my first 6 monthly follow up next month and will need a PSA blood test beforehand.

Stupid question number 1: I know pre surgery I had to avoid vigorous exercise and sex before the blood test, now I don’t have a prostate does the same still apply? To the exercise I mean, the other is currently not possible!

Rob

User
Posted 19 Nov 2019 at 13:42
In theory it could cause a tiny (temporary) rise but if your PSA is less than 0 1 (as it should be - fingers crossed for you) the difference would hardly be detectable. The bigger issue is managing PSA anxiety; I think for peace of mind it is more important to try to behave the same way before every test so that as you go forward you have confidence in the results. John goes to the gym almost every day and so it is easier to go to the gym than to remember not to go to the gym.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Nov 2019 at 14:22

Cheers. Too much anxiety anyway. Back into hospital on Friday to have gallbladder removed, it started playing up two weeks after my all clear. Can’t wait to see the back of 2019.

Rob

User
Posted 19 Nov 2019 at 15:02
Hi Rob, I wasn't advised anything apart from my before my 1st PSA test. I do spend 20 minutes first thing every morning on the cross trainer/orbital torture implement thing (makes a change from using it to hang shirts on) but give it a miss on the day of a blood test.

Steve

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C