Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tender after a TRUS Biopsy

User
Posted 20 Nov 2019 at 20:30

Hello,

Back in October, I had a UTI. A doctor prescribed me some antibiotics to clear it up. After a couple of days, the antibiotics were not working, so I called my GP. He was surprised that I wasn't referred to a urologist so he did this as a precaution. It seemed that I wasn't emptying my bladder fully from an ultrasound scan. I had a PSA test, which came in at 2.5 but this was raised because of the UTI. My previous PSA the year before was 0.8 (this was after a long cycle ride the day before!). I started having a yearly PSA test mid way through my 40s as my grandfather had PCa, my father and his five brothers had it so I'm at a higher risk. My PSA has always been low. Visiting to urology nurse, she found some firmness and referred me for a TRUS biopsy and an MRI (standard I think, not mpMRI). The MRI showed a score of 2/3 and 3/4 on the scan so I went ahead with the biopsy. It's been a week now since the procedure and I'm still experiencing quite a bit of tenderness in that area. I've been antibiotics as well as a precaution as I've had a number of UTIs throughout the month. Is it normal is still have tenderness after a week?

Many thanks for reading.

User
Posted 20 Nov 2019 at 23:48
Was it a TRUS biopsy (up your bum with a local anaesthetic) or a template biopsy (between your legs with a general anaesthetic or spinal block)?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 08:20

It was TRUS Biopsy with a local anaesthetic. 

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 19:42
No, it's not common to feel discomfort for more than a few seconds with TRUS biopsy. If you are concerned, see your GP to check that the antibiotics have done their job.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard