I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Early docetaxel, or move on to radiotherapy?

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 01:42

I’ve been on hormone therapy (LHRH) for 3 months, for locally advanced PCa, which has reduced my PSA from over 300 down to 12 so far. 

Before moving on to radiotherapy I’ve been offered six cycles of docetacel chemotherapy, based on the results of the STAMPEDE trial (which I haven’t yet found a copy of). I have until early December to decide. 

So, am wondering what to do, bearing in mind the significant side effects of docetaxel. Would it be better to start radiotherapy with continuing hormone therapy, dealing with any emerging metastasis later, or have the hair-raising (literally!) chemotherapy first?

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 07:55
Whack it with everything you can, all the recent trials seem to indicate HT, Chemo and primary tumour irradiation gives the best outcome.
User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 09:37
What Jon says. Hit it with everything. Everyone reacts differently to Chemo but, as the small print says, not everyone will get all the side effects. I had 6 cycles and the side effects were more irritating than debilitating to be honest. Had to cut down on my wake-boarding this summer but just went during days 14 to 21 of the cycle when I was pretty much back to normal. Oh! if you're going to have it over winter, I would suggest getting a Flu jab as soon as possible from your GP. Will help with lowered resistance during your course. Personally, I lost very little hair. Head was fine though most of short beard went and the "short and curlies" pretty much vanished :)

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 10:42
What does your Oncologist recommend?

I followed my Oncos recommendation HT/Chemo/RT.

Had a rough time last Winter on the chemo but the RT was a breeze.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 11:14
Hi,

I'd agree with the above. I was dx five years ago and was advised that early chemo was the best option. It was wasn't all that long ago that chemo was a later or last option. Ive never had RT so no sure what is outcome of that treatment.

As with above, chemo affects people in different ways and my fisrt session of 6 rounds wasn't as bad as I thought with miminal SE.

GL with treatment.

steven

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 17:55

Hi,

Agree with whats been said above all the recent studies show best results for good quality longer life are to hit the little b****** into submission by throwing everthing  you mention at it including the kitchen sink early in the treatment programme when you are still pretty fit. Accordingly have just had my fourth round of chemo.out of six planned cycles.Side effects have been tolerable with the various meds. they give you to control sickness,heartburn etc. Go for it !

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 22 Nov 2019 at 08:07

Hi, I would agree with everyone else...hit it as hard as you can....I was diagnosed in Jan 2016....psa 24.6...Gleason 8...3+5........Latest psa in Oct 2019 psa still at 0.17........I was lucky in that the treatment wasn't too bad to get through....I worked through it all....

So my thoughts are give it all you can....hope this helps a bit

Shaun

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 07:55
Whack it with everything you can, all the recent trials seem to indicate HT, Chemo and primary tumour irradiation gives the best outcome.
User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 09:37
What Jon says. Hit it with everything. Everyone reacts differently to Chemo but, as the small print says, not everyone will get all the side effects. I had 6 cycles and the side effects were more irritating than debilitating to be honest. Had to cut down on my wake-boarding this summer but just went during days 14 to 21 of the cycle when I was pretty much back to normal. Oh! if you're going to have it over winter, I would suggest getting a Flu jab as soon as possible from your GP. Will help with lowered resistance during your course. Personally, I lost very little hair. Head was fine though most of short beard went and the "short and curlies" pretty much vanished :)

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 10:42
What does your Oncologist recommend?

I followed my Oncos recommendation HT/Chemo/RT.

Had a rough time last Winter on the chemo but the RT was a breeze.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 11:14
Hi,

I'd agree with the above. I was dx five years ago and was advised that early chemo was the best option. It was wasn't all that long ago that chemo was a later or last option. Ive never had RT so no sure what is outcome of that treatment.

As with above, chemo affects people in different ways and my fisrt session of 6 rounds wasn't as bad as I thought with miminal SE.

GL with treatment.

steven

User
Posted 21 Nov 2019 at 17:55

Hi,

Agree with whats been said above all the recent studies show best results for good quality longer life are to hit the little b****** into submission by throwing everthing  you mention at it including the kitchen sink early in the treatment programme when you are still pretty fit. Accordingly have just had my fourth round of chemo.out of six planned cycles.Side effects have been tolerable with the various meds. they give you to control sickness,heartburn etc. Go for it !

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 22 Nov 2019 at 08:07

Hi, I would agree with everyone else...hit it as hard as you can....I was diagnosed in Jan 2016....psa 24.6...Gleason 8...3+5........Latest psa in Oct 2019 psa still at 0.17........I was lucky in that the treatment wasn't too bad to get through....I worked through it all....

So my thoughts are give it all you can....hope this helps a bit

Shaun