I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Active surveylance

User
Posted 22 Nov 2019 at 21:06

please what is active surveylance and can i join that group or on-line topic.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2019 at 00:25
it isn't a group or online topic - it is just a man deciding not to have active treatment, and instead to have close monitoring from his medical team. It would normally involve 3 monthly PSA tests with annual DRE and annual MRI scan. Men with low grade very small tumours may be better just keeping an eye on it rather than going through horrible treatments.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Nov 2019 at 00:39
I see from your other post that you are already on hormone treatment so active surveillance is not relevant.

Can you give some more information about your diagnosis - the Gleason score (written as G7(3+4) or something like that) and staging, perhaps (written as a T1, T2, T3 or T4). Is the hormone treatment in preparation for you having radiotherapy in a fw months, or were you diagnosed with a cancer that had already spread?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Nov 2019 at 14:55

Hello , HT is given before RT that's I think the standard procedure, unless HT is not recommended or refused, I have another 2 CT scans to go yet, the second being the first initiation to RT , I think they tattoo the target area and give the first sort of training for the rest of the RT which  I think will be for 4 weeks 5 days a week, the other Gleason test score you ask for , I would have to dig through lots of letters , but I can remember it was slightly high as was the T factor and not treatable via the new Cyber Knife

My  HT started on about the 16th October for 28 days then handed over to my GP which I initiated on the 12/ 13th of November for 3 months , with another 3 to go making 4x3 months = 1 year of HT

Edited by member 23 Nov 2019 at 14:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Nov 2019 at 17:07
Thanks - that is good news. Some people have HT because they are incurable so they don't have RT alongside it.