I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Final chemo, can you just stop steroids?

User
Posted 24 Nov 2019 at 15:19

Hi all, 

My husband was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer (Gleason 8) in July this year, started tablets then Prostap injections soon after. He started early chemo in August. He has had PSA tests every three weeks during this which has steadily come down from 287 to 37, 7, 3.88, 1.69 and 1.38. His final chemo is 3rd December and he has coped really well (one or two days each cycle he has felt wretched but nothing like we thought).

We have both started to get used to the idea and I did not believe Cheshire Chris who said that we would find a 'new normal' after the shock subsided. But, Chris you were right, we are getting there - slowly.

During the chemo he has been taking prednisolone steroids. The steroid card says not to suddenly stop taking them. I asked the chemo nurse at his last one if he would be gradually be taken off them and she said 'no, I think you can just stop". Can anyone advise is that what they were told ?

After the last chemo I guess he will not be having  3 weekly PSA tests, will this go to three monthly?

I  feel apprehensive in case the PSA starts rising again and we won't know for 3 months. But I also know we have to get used  to uncertainty for the future.  He is having a scan in January and will be considered for radiotherapy though we have not had the opportunity yet to discuss what the criteria for that is. 

Mrs MAS

Edited by member 25 Nov 2019 at 06:55  | Reason: Reworded some text

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 25 Nov 2019 at 22:54
Hi,

Mine were just stopped at the end of chemotherapy. I didn’t feel too clever for a while afterward but nothing that could be called debilitating.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Nov 2019 at 11:30

Thanks for your replies.

Hi Shelagh, you and Rob are ahead of us a little. How is he feeling since his chemo ended? Thanks for the info about the steroids, it seems people are given different instructions but I will ask the oncologist on Friday ahead of last chemo on Tuesday. So glad he ll have finished it by Christmas.

I will have my fingers crossed for you both at end January, please keep us updated. Hope you have many happy distractions in the meantime and enjoy having your daughter home. 

Im sure I'll be posting when we know what's going on with RT.

Best wishes, 

Mrs MAS

Edited by member 26 Nov 2019 at 11:33  | Reason: Spelling

Mrs MAS

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Nov 2019 at 08:17
Hi, I was on the same. Doc advised me that low dosage (2 x 5mg a day) should have no side effects stopping but for peace of mind I could drop to 1 x 5mg for the last 10 days of taking them which I think worked out at 16 days at 10 mg and 10 days at 5 mg for my last prescription of 3 weeks supply.

Steve

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 25 Nov 2019 at 08:24

Steve, thanks - that's a good idea.

Mrs MAS

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 25 Nov 2019 at 19:35

Hi Mrs Mas

I am glad that things are slowly starting to settle down for you both and also that your husband will have finished his chemo by Christmas. 

Rob finished his 6th session of docetaxel in October, but still had to continue taking the prednisolone - 2 x 5mg a day for 3 weeks and then 1 x 5mg for four weeks.  He is still taking it -  it seems like a long time, but it's what his particular consultant told him to do. You could go back and ask if you are worried at all.

Rob has a 3 month appointment at the end of January to check his PSA, but in the meantime I am going to try not to think about it - easy enough to say, I know. I'm going to focus on anything good we have going on over the next weeks, which includes our elder daughter coming back from Singapore for Christmas. 

I hope that your husband continues to cope well with his chemo and that they have good news for you both on the RT front in January.

Take care.

Shelagh xx

User
Posted 25 Nov 2019 at 22:54
Hi,

Mine were just stopped at the end of chemotherapy. I didn’t feel too clever for a while afterward but nothing that could be called debilitating.

Dave

User
Posted 26 Nov 2019 at 11:30

Thanks for your replies.

Hi Shelagh, you and Rob are ahead of us a little. How is he feeling since his chemo ended? Thanks for the info about the steroids, it seems people are given different instructions but I will ask the oncologist on Friday ahead of last chemo on Tuesday. So glad he ll have finished it by Christmas.

I will have my fingers crossed for you both at end January, please keep us updated. Hope you have many happy distractions in the meantime and enjoy having your daughter home. 

Im sure I'll be posting when we know what's going on with RT.

Best wishes, 

Mrs MAS

Edited by member 26 Nov 2019 at 11:33  | Reason: Spelling

Mrs MAS

User
Posted 29 Nov 2019 at 16:10
Hi Mrs Mas

Thank you for your good wishes. Rob is feeling fine thanks and I will certainly keep you updated.

All the best to you both.

Shelagh xx

User
Posted 03 Dec 2019 at 17:43

Just an update: final chemo happened today and once the weekend (when husband feels rubbish following chemo) is over, we can forget about things until the scan in January. Bloods yesterday show his PSA is 0.87 down from 287 in August. The last few months have both "dragged" and "flown" which seem impossible. 

But we are happy today. 

Wishing you all good news.

Mrs MAS

Edited by member 04 Dec 2019 at 11:46  | Reason: Not specified

Mrs MAS