I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rug pulled out from us again?

User
Posted 26 Nov 2019 at 16:53

Hi just feel I need to offload so here goes.

Husband's PSA following RARP 2 years ago still good at < 0.03 however about 4 months ago started having lower abdominal pain and loose motions. Saw about 3 GP's ( mostly locums as we are in one of those 30 doctor practices where they make it really difficult for you to have any continuity of care) who put it down to IBS and told him to relax. The usual Buscopan etc  did nothing for it. He finally saw one who listened and sent him for  sigmoidoscopy after the usual stool sample was negative.

This was fine but after various blood tests the test for antibodies signalling coeliac disease came back positive. Had further endoscopy with biopsies which we are waiting results on to rubber stamp the diagnosis but consultant has said his small intestine has the scalloped appearance so almost 100% certainty. He has started the gluten free diet which will need to continue for life so what a bummer. We know there is more gluten free food options out there than ever but no where as nice as normal food and you have to be so careful to avoid cross contamination when eating out etc Another huge life changing thing to cope with!!!

He also had an abdominal/ pelvic CT scan that GP had booked and that showed up a few incidental findings. Left small inguinal fatty hernia ( will not need op) , Slight arthritis in lower back L4 and L5 ( which we know about)  Likely simple cysts but does not state on what organs( would be nice to know how many and where not to mention certainty that that's all they are) most worrying though is Minor scarring/ atelectasis found on lung bases. This can be caused by lots of things one of them cancer. Husband was an apprentice electrician in the days when employers were not too careful about subjecting their workers to the presence of asbestos so my mind is running wild about the possibility of if not immediate danger from that then perhaps the ticking timebomb.

Sometimes I wish he hadn't bothered with the CT scan now.

Interestingly  I have read that coeliac disease can be triggered by stress and abdominal surgery so he's certainly had that these last two years. I haven't seen anyone here on this site with it.

Sorry to ramble but I just feel " what next" 

Ann

User
Posted 26 Nov 2019 at 17:32
Time to embrace a low carb diet and cut out all that dodgy bread!

Have they said any of the findings need further investigation?? If not stop worrying and start living - just not with tasty bread!!