I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Zoladex during Radiotherapy

User
Posted 27 Nov 2019 at 19:02

I have been on Zoladex for 8 weeks now and have today had a third implant. On December 18th I am due to go for the planning for radiotherapy which I expect to start 6 January and last for 4 weeks. My question is this. My next implant will be on Christmas Eve and lasts for 28 days  by which time I shall be into 3rd week of radiotherapy. Will I need to have a 5th Zoladex implant about 21 January or will the Zoladex that is in my system see me through until end of my radiotherapy at the end of January 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2019 at 20:11

Hello Richard,

It sounds like you are having 4-weekly dose Zoladex implants, which is a bit unusual. It's more usual for men to have 12-weekly dose (10.8mg), possibly starting with just a single 4-weekly dose. It doesn't matter, but you are having the implants more often than if you were to have the 12-weekly dose.

You will need to ask your oncologist how long they want you on Zoladex. This can range from 1-3 years if the RT is your primary treatment with 3-6 months before treatment, and the rest afterwards, but is sometimes less if the radiotherapy is a salvage treatment after a failed prostatectomy.