Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Damn Prostate Cancer!

User
Posted 29 Nov 2019 at 20:51

Hi! I'm Stephen,

I am a 58 year old gay man, been with my partner for 30 years next year and I am lucky enough to have been able to retire 4 years ago at the age of 54. I'm Scottish but have lived in the South of England for 30 years. 

I enjoy keeping fit, photography, travelling, motorcycling and all the usual TV, Cinema stuff. 

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in September, purely by chance, when having an MRI scan of my lower back in relation to a recurring sports injury in my leg! The sports injury is resolvable but unfortunately the Prostate was more serious and whilst the biopsy revealed I was only stage T2 there were some Gleason 7 cores, but all within the prostate and no evidence of cancer outside PHEW! My PSA score is only 3.1, which brings the PSA tests into question a little. 

Due to my fitness level, absence of any other health issues, age, and having found my cancer very early my consultant recommend that I have treatment rather than active surveillance and in particular either Radical Prostatectomy or Permanent Seed Brachytherapy.

I spent October and November considering all of the treatment options included those recommended with active surveillance being my least favourite and decided to opt for the Permanent Seed Brachytherapy and will have my seeds implanted at the Stokes Centre in Guildford on 22 January. 

I feel very fortunate that my cancer has been found so early and that the treatment available has a very good chance of ensuring the cancer is wiped out. I chose this treatment because it has the same success rate as removal with less chance of long term side effects.

The last few months have been traumatic, I had never had a days serious illness in my 58 years!  but I'm coming to terms with what is happening and I'm feeling positive again. 

Prior to my diagnosis during the various tests only myself and my husband knew what was going on but since my diagnosis, I've found that it helps to talk about things and try and be positive including having a sense of humour about some of the aspects of it all, so I apologise in advance if I offend anyone! 

Happy to chat with anyone who wants to or is in the same position gay or straight. 

Be strong guys! 

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 01:27

Stephen,

Welcome to the exclusive club no one wants to join.

One thing you might want to consider is having SpaceOAR installed during your brachytherapy operation. This spacer pushes the rectum away from the prostate for 6 or more months, significantly reducing the radiation dose to the rectum, and hence reduces chances of side effects on the rectum. You might need to have this done privately, and it will depend on your centre having the right skills and offering the procedure in the first place. Some places have been doing it on the NHS as part of a trial (such as Mount Vernon), but I suspect they have used up all the trial procedures they were given.

It is worth saying that dosing to the rectum with brachy is less than with external beam radiotherapy, and therefore the benefits to be had from SpaceOAR in the case of brachytherapy are less than for EBRT.

Your attitude sounds wonderful. I also told only a few people initially, and gradually more when I had a better idea of my prognosis, and eventually went public when I finished my radical treatment (EBRT + HDR Brachytherapy). Humour is great - people often don't know how to react when they find out you have cancer, and humour is great for breaking that barrier and putting them at ease. I'm now involved in several support groups doing both advocacy and counseling.

Best of luck
Andy

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 01:43
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to this forum though sorry it is your PCa that brings you here.

It was fortunate that your PCa was discovered early giving a good chance of cure. My PCa was found when my GP was investigating something different but suggested he add a PSA test to my blood tests. Unfortunately, the PCa was found to be locally advanced but had he not initiated checks it is likely that the PCa would have become further advanced.

You will find that just about everything related to PCa, it's treatment, and the way it impacts people is freely discussed on this site.

You have made you treatment decision which is perhaps the biggest one you have to make concerning PCa . Do let us know how it goes and if you have any questions at any point just ask - somebody can usually be helpful.
Barry
User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 08:27

Hi Stephen,

As has already been said, making that decision about your treatment is a huge step forward and will undoubtedly help clear and focus your mind for the weeks and months ahead.

Keep that sense of humour going (don't be afraid to joke about it) and maintain your fitness.

Good luck with the treatment!

User

Hi Andy

I generally like to be the first in my social circle to try something new but maybe not on this occasion!!! ;-)

I just read your bio, and realise that you are way further along your journey than I realised. What a ride you have been on, congratulations on the 0.01!!!

Yes, the spacers don't come on the NHS, I could pay for it but I had a discussion about the spacer with my consultant and the Macmillan nurses while I was researching the various options and his view was for Permanent Seed Brachytherapy is wasn't necessary.

Keep up the good work in helping others and thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Stephen  

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 08:35

Hi Kev

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. 

Hope your recovery is speedy and full. 

Kind regards

Stephen 

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 16:24
I live in the New Forest and am treated at Southampton General. I hear they are trialling space-oar gel for free but not sure if only for external radiation therapy. Keep positive mate.
User
Posted 26 Jan 2020 at 12:37

25 January 2020 update:

Had my Permanent Seed Brachytherapy implants at the Stokes Centre, Royal Surrey Hospital Guildford this week. 

All very straightforward, and 3 days in all I have is tiredness due to lack of sleep, bloating and a  lot of hiccups!

Only some very minor discomfort down below. Peeing got back to normal after 2 days, meds may be helping that? 

The 64 seeds are now doing their job and I plan to try and stop thinking about prostate cancer and get back on with my life.

First PSA test early April.  

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 01:27

Stephen,

Welcome to the exclusive club no one wants to join.

One thing you might want to consider is having SpaceOAR installed during your brachytherapy operation. This spacer pushes the rectum away from the prostate for 6 or more months, significantly reducing the radiation dose to the rectum, and hence reduces chances of side effects on the rectum. You might need to have this done privately, and it will depend on your centre having the right skills and offering the procedure in the first place. Some places have been doing it on the NHS as part of a trial (such as Mount Vernon), but I suspect they have used up all the trial procedures they were given.

It is worth saying that dosing to the rectum with brachy is less than with external beam radiotherapy, and therefore the benefits to be had from SpaceOAR in the case of brachytherapy are less than for EBRT.

Your attitude sounds wonderful. I also told only a few people initially, and gradually more when I had a better idea of my prognosis, and eventually went public when I finished my radical treatment (EBRT + HDR Brachytherapy). Humour is great - people often don't know how to react when they find out you have cancer, and humour is great for breaking that barrier and putting them at ease. I'm now involved in several support groups doing both advocacy and counseling.

Best of luck
Andy

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 01:43
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to this forum though sorry it is your PCa that brings you here.

It was fortunate that your PCa was discovered early giving a good chance of cure. My PCa was found when my GP was investigating something different but suggested he add a PSA test to my blood tests. Unfortunately, the PCa was found to be locally advanced but had he not initiated checks it is likely that the PCa would have become further advanced.

You will find that just about everything related to PCa, it's treatment, and the way it impacts people is freely discussed on this site.

You have made you treatment decision which is perhaps the biggest one you have to make concerning PCa . Do let us know how it goes and if you have any questions at any point just ask - somebody can usually be helpful.
Barry
User

Hi Stephen,

As has already been said, making that decision about your treatment is a huge step forward and will undoubtedly help clear and focus your mind for the weeks and months ahead.

Keep that sense of humour going (don't be afraid to joke about it) and maintain your fitness.

Good luck with the treatment!

User

Hi Andy

I generally like to be the first in my social circle to try something new but maybe not on this occasion!!! ;-)

I just read your bio, and realise that you are way further along your journey than I realised. What a ride you have been on, congratulations on the 0.01!!!

Yes, the spacers don't come on the NHS, I could pay for it but I had a discussion about the spacer with my consultant and the Macmillan nurses while I was researching the various options and his view was for Permanent Seed Brachytherapy is wasn't necessary.

Keep up the good work in helping others and thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Stephen  

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 08:33

Hi Barry

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and welcoming me to site. 

Yes, I think choosing the treatment was the hardest thing, so far anyway, and I am very lucky that I have had the time to think carefully about that. 

I see from your bio that you have had a number of years living with your PCa and I admire your resilience. 

Kind regards

Stephen 

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 08:35

Hi Kev

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. 

Hope your recovery is speedy and full. 

Kind regards

Stephen 

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 16:24
I live in the New Forest and am treated at Southampton General. I hear they are trialling space-oar gel for free but not sure if only for external radiation therapy. Keep positive mate.
User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 16:31

Hi Chris

Yes, I saw that on South Today a few weeks ago, but I think it is for external radio therapy. 

I've been treated by St Richards in Chichester, amazing staff and having my Seeds done at the Stokes Centre in Guildford. 

Keeping positive is the only way mate! and thanks for contacting, best wishes on your journey, Stephen 

User
Posted 26 Jan 2020 at 12:37

25 January 2020 update:

Had my Permanent Seed Brachytherapy implants at the Stokes Centre, Royal Surrey Hospital Guildford this week. 

All very straightforward, and 3 days in all I have is tiredness due to lack of sleep, bloating and a  lot of hiccups!

Only some very minor discomfort down below. Peeing got back to normal after 2 days, meds may be helping that? 

The 64 seeds are now doing their job and I plan to try and stop thinking about prostate cancer and get back on with my life.

First PSA test early April.