I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA results too soon ?

User
Posted 29 Nov 2019 at 22:24

Could you please answer a question. My Husband has a Lupron inj every 3 Months. Always arranged for a Friday and 3 days later on the Mon we see the Oncologist for the results. On another site I'm on, (mostly Americans) some one has asked why we have the blood taken then results 3 days later, as Lupron raises PSA initially, so the PSA  3 days later tells you nothing !

Just curious to know is it like that for everyone in the UK ?  We are with the NHS,and do intend to ask mid Dec when we see the Oncologist , but don't want to 'ask the question' without some info behind me.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 00:21

The testosterone flare only happens when you start a course of an LHRH agonist (which is what Lupron is). If you are taking it regularly to maintain continuous ADP, then you won't get the flare on subsequent injections. LHRH agonists are normally started in the middle of a 3-4 week course of an anti-androgen (such as bicalutamide), to block the testosterone flare from getting to the cancer cells (or anything else, come to that).

You should not feel resistant to asking your onco anything - there's no such thing as a silly question.

Edited by member 30 Nov 2019 at 00:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 01:23
When it is injected, it doesn’t flood the body with large amounts of active ingredient which then tails off; they are injecting a capsule that will slowly release its contents over the next 12 weeks. So there is no chemical reason for the PSA to be affected by it in the way your American friends are suggesting.

Even if it was true, I think what matters is the consistency of behaviour for each test - if you always have the test on Lupron day then the comparison from one test to the next is reliable.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Nov 2019 at 10:59
Thankyou for your explanation, and appreciate your responses.

Kim