I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hi from a newbe

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 05:21

I was diagnosed with Advanced Prostate Cancer in April this year,so far i have had 37 sessions of Radiotherapy and having 12 weekly Hormone Injections (Zoladex).

I get side affect from both of which I'm told is normal.

I asked the Oncologist if there was any food that would help slow down things or food best avoided,to be told nothing has been proven.

At the moment I'm eating lots of tomatoes which contain antioxidants of which I'm hoping may help.

Is there anything you can suggest i eat or avoid to slow thing down.

thanks for reading

Richard 

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 06:45
Eat a healthy diet with lots of vegetables. Make sure you enjoy life and try and forget about cancer between appointments.
User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 07:55
There's no evidence that diet has any effect on prostate cancer, so although eating a healthy diet will improve your overall health, it'll have no impact at all on the cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 06:45
Eat a healthy diet with lots of vegetables. Make sure you enjoy life and try and forget about cancer between appointments.
User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 07:55
There's no evidence that diet has any effect on prostate cancer, so although eating a healthy diet will improve your overall health, it'll have no impact at all on the cancer.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 08:16

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
At the moment I'm eating lots of tomatoes which contain antioxidants of which I'm hoping may help.

I'll echo what Chris said, but in the case of tomatoes, they have to be processed to release the components which many believe are beneficial against prostate cancer. Raw tomatoes won't do it, but tinned, ketchup, etc all have it.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 08:48

I'll echo what Chris said, but in the case of tomatoes, they have to be processed to release the components which many believe are beneficial against prostate cancer. Raw tomatoes won't do it, but tinned, ketchup, etc all have it.

Cheers Andy, I'm eating plenty of tinned tomatoes,tomato juice and tomato puree.

Im aware there is no miracle cure,but i feel i have to do something . 

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 09:58
Hi Rikki

I'm taking Pomi-T food supplements, 2 a day. Contain broccoli, turmeric, pomegranate and green tea.

My Onco laughed when I told him as he said I'm closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but the Turmeric content has eased the joint pain I was getting in my fingers from the Prostap jabs.

I also gave up added sugar on diagnosis, took me about 6 months to enjoy sugarless tea.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 10:14
A balanced diet and exercise will help you both mentally and physically

Bri

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 13:39
Precisely, Andrew. Diet may help you avoid cancer, but it'll do nothing once you have it.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 23:28

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Healthy-Eating-Prostate-Association-Foundation/dp/1856268691

I came across this book in an old BBC podcast...after my surgery.

may be of interest if only for some “healthy” recipes.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 23:55
Yes, a lot of us probably have this book - it is the most reasoned of all those commonly recommended. Makes clear at the beginning the difference between a prostate healthy diet and a diet for advanced PCa, does not rule out any foods but does suggest reducing intake of some things and eating more healthily (no bad thing) and most important, the recipes are easy to follow and tasty.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Dec 2019 at 00:05

Some men feel that alterations to diet can help slow the advance of PCa. We did have a member Rob who was convinced this was the case and extended his life (although sadly he lost out to PCa.) If you scroll down to 'Latest news' here in his Bio, you will see how seriously he took diet. https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=profile&u=656

Edited by member 05 Dec 2019 at 00:06  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 05 Dec 2019 at 10:30

Hi Rikky,

It’s just over three years since diagnosis of advanced PCa. My PSA has been creeping up very slowly over the last year. At my last check up I asked my consultant if there was anything I could do food wise (I already have a reasonably varied and balanced diet). The answer was a straightforward no.

I have posted this before but there is a trial currently looking at the benefits of regular intense resistance and aerobic exercise in slowing down castrate resistant PCa. I don’t qualify for that trial yet but I’ve worked out an exercise regime of my own which I’ve so far been carrying out regularly.

Dave

Edited by member 05 Dec 2019 at 23:01  | Reason: Additional text