I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Telling people...

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 09:47

Hi everyone. If you have read my other post you will know my story so far (newly diagnosed on Friday) anyway at moment I'm still off work, but I will need to return at some point. By nature I'm a very private person and do not let anything out of a personal nature, especially health wise. The only people who know what's going on at the moment are my wife and daughters, no one else. But I guess I need to let my work know given I will most probably need to have time off. Just wanted to know how you broached the matter of telling people. Not sure I want to get this out in the public domain, I don't want the fuss and to be seen differently, pitied and constantly asked how I am (if this makes sense) I am still fit/strong, don't feel ill, it's the mental side that's the biggest battle for me. I'm just wanting to get back into my training now, which is what has always defined me. Any advice, personal stories in this regards much appreciated..thanks in advance......Steve

Edited by member 04 Dec 2019 at 13:05  | Reason: .

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 11:57
We're all different in this respect, Steve, but it never crossed my mind not to tell people about it. I find that people find it easier to handle when you're completely open about it. Many people think that "cancer" is something they can't talk about and that it's an automatic death sentence (which, for the majority of men diagnosed with prostate cancer is not the case, of course). I told my work colleagues "I've got this condition, but it's eminently treatable and no cause for concern". My own employers at the time (a large Japanese multinational) couldn't have been more helpful. As much time off as I needed on full pay. In my own case my cancer diagnosis made me re-evaluate what was important in my life, so I got all my treatment out of the way (on full pay) and then retired!

Very best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 12:01

Husband retired 9 months ago but still told his work colleagues post surgery. The support has been amazing. Being open and honest is the best way. 

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 12:39

Steve,

I found the dread of having to tell people far worse than their reaction, which was always very supportive.

At work, I left it to my boss to mention it to colleagues re. the need to take leave. And working in a large organisation you soon find there are other colleagues going through a similar journey, so mine was seen as part of the "norm". It was then that I realised that I was just a very small cog in a very large machine! 

Flexi

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 13:56
To me, Steve, the very definition of a friend is a person with whom you can share the important events in your life.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 15:46

Hi Steve,  I felt the same as you.  As far, as far as I know, only 5 people know.

The op only took 2 days so no-one knew I was in hospital.

If I was at work it might be a problem but I could have taken 10 days off and probably got away with no-one knowing.  That said I'd think there is a need to tell your employer. I know someone at work who kept a serious illness secret for a very long time although I'd think the company knew.

I'm not someone who wants support or sympathy unless I ask,  but we're all different.

All the best

Edited by member 04 Dec 2019 at 15:53  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 11:57
We're all different in this respect, Steve, but it never crossed my mind not to tell people about it. I find that people find it easier to handle when you're completely open about it. Many people think that "cancer" is something they can't talk about and that it's an automatic death sentence (which, for the majority of men diagnosed with prostate cancer is not the case, of course). I told my work colleagues "I've got this condition, but it's eminently treatable and no cause for concern". My own employers at the time (a large Japanese multinational) couldn't have been more helpful. As much time off as I needed on full pay. In my own case my cancer diagnosis made me re-evaluate what was important in my life, so I got all my treatment out of the way (on full pay) and then retired!

Very best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 12:01

Husband retired 9 months ago but still told his work colleagues post surgery. The support has been amazing. Being open and honest is the best way. 

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 12:39

Steve,

I found the dread of having to tell people far worse than their reaction, which was always very supportive.

At work, I left it to my boss to mention it to colleagues re. the need to take leave. And working in a large organisation you soon find there are other colleagues going through a similar journey, so mine was seen as part of the "norm". It was then that I realised that I was just a very small cog in a very large machine! 

Flexi

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 13:09

Thank you all. I know I have to at least tell my company sooner rather than later. Whether I go public to friends and acquaintances is another matter at the moment. Just don't want all the fuss and drama, plus it's a very personal thing, not like breaking a leg or something.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 13:56
To me, Steve, the very definition of a friend is a person with whom you can share the important events in your life.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 15:46

Hi Steve,  I felt the same as you.  As far, as far as I know, only 5 people know.

The op only took 2 days so no-one knew I was in hospital.

If I was at work it might be a problem but I could have taken 10 days off and probably got away with no-one knowing.  That said I'd think there is a need to tell your employer. I know someone at work who kept a serious illness secret for a very long time although I'd think the company knew.

I'm not someone who wants support or sympathy unless I ask,  but we're all different.

All the best

Edited by member 04 Dec 2019 at 15:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 17:26

To start with, I didn't tell anyone. I felt I could handle it myself at that stage, but I couldn't handle emotionally supporting someone else. People are different though - many people will want the support of a partner at this stage. I used the time between tests and appointments to learn about the disease, in part so that when I did get around to telling people, I would be able to answer any questions they had. One of those questions was obviously my prognosis, so I decided I would wait until diagnosis had gone far enough to give me a good idea of my prognosis before telling anyone.

First people I told were my brother and sister-in-law, and it is quite a relief when you first tell someone - you now have someone who will listen. Then parents. Then gradually I told a few friends. I would joke about it occasionally (hormone therapy could have been invented for comedians), so people would know I'm OK to talk about it, but you don't want talk exclusively about it or you might lose some friends. Just after my radical treatment finished, I told all my friends. By that stage I was fully confident talking about it, and had even been counseling other men with it.

So, take it at your own pace, and be aware of the impact it has on the people you tell. In some cases, you will need to provide them with some emotional support if you are able to do so. As I said before, being able to laugh at it can really help put others at ease.