I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A few more twists & turns ( or what happened next)

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 16:30

Went for my TWOC on 6th November & passed the empty bladder tests, so catheter out & time for the pads. Back home and not too bad, just a couple of dribbles when getting up from chairs. Movement is certainly a lot easier without the bag! Had a good night's sleep until about 3am, went to the loo & nothing happened - until I had an excruciating pain in my lower stomach & couldn't move for a few minutes. Managed to get back to bed & it eased a bit. I was still unable to urinate at 6am so called the hospital & was told to get straight back to the Ward at which point I was readmitted with a UTI and put on antibiotic and potassium drips.

Next day, I had an ultrasound examination on my belly, followed later by a CT scan with and without contrast which showed a leak in the new urethra/ bladder joint leading to urine and blood in my stomach and lower pelvic areas. That evening, one of the Urology doctors inserted a camera into my penis to check for any damage & then reinserted a catheter. After another day on a potassium drip, I saw the Consultant who discussed the next steps -  a Cystogram in 2 weeks when the catheter would be removed if the tear had healed, followed by a follow up appointment with the Consultant a week later. He then allowed me to go home ( November 10th) Received appointments for Cystogram and Consultant in post on November 24th.

November 27th Cystogram appointment, " there's good news and bad news...well only bad news really" the tear hasn't fully healed yet, so I get to keep the catheter for another 2-3 weeks, after which another Cystogram & hopefully catheter removal.

That evening my Consultant (Mr S) called me at home for a chat, and not to worry, he will arrange the Cystogram and then the catheter removal as a daycase. He needs to see me on December 5th and to have a PSA test on November 28th.

December 4th getting a bit nervous about results tomorrow.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 17:30

S

No consolation to you but fortunately it doesn't happen that often. You probably already know urine leaking into the pelvic area can be serious. Out of interest were you over doing it post op ? 

I hope your troubles don't get any worse but I was told urine passing through the joint can be a cause of extra scar tissue and possibly a stricture, perhaps worth having a discussion with your consultant. Hope the test results are good.

Take care .

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Dec 2019 at 21:20

Hi,  psa results are always worrying.  Perhaps you already know the post op pathology result.

On the the leak. You might akready think this but if it was me I'd be asking myself what I can do to help healing.  As a first thought it would be to ensure no stresses around that area and not drinking too much in a short time. When the catheter is out ensure you empty the bladder at first feeling of need.  Also drinking non-irritant fluids such as water. There is a long list of fluids that irritate the bladder.

I've always thought the catheter adds stress although perhaps it's less than a full bladder.  The bladder is a muscle.

Just a few thoughts, I've no real knowledge on this. 

Best of luck tomorrow.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2019 at 15:57

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply, the only thing I can think of is that during the night after my surgery, I felt very dizzy & nauseous coupled with some fairly violent retching. I managed to get some buscopan at about 5am which helped but was still sick a couple of times during the morning.I got my results today (I'll post about that later on)

How are you getting on? Your last message said you were having a few SPC problems.

Take care buddy.

S

User
Posted 05 Dec 2019 at 16:25

Hi Peter, many thanks for your reply, I tend to pace my fluid intake throughout the day, I drink mainly water & have not drunk any caffeine since before the surgery even to the point of getting decaffeinated teabags. Hot drinks are either decaff tea, instant hot chocolate & occasionally lime cordial (well diluted) I also drink light cranberry juice regularly & because I'm a boring old fart I don't drink any alcohol ( mainly because of the meds I'm on really)Take care

Steve

User
Posted 05 Dec 2019 at 18:20

A change of catheter and half an inch can make all the difference.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Dec 2019 at 18:35

We could be running close on who's the biggest boring old fart.  I cut out alcohol and strictly limited caffeine for 6 months after diagnosis.  I now limit myself to 2 strong coffees (flat white) a day and no more than 2 bottles of beer twice a week.  Quite a reduction on my previous intake.  

Although I never use the word 'old' in relation to myself unless I'm struggling for excuses.

Edited by member 05 Dec 2019 at 18:35  | Reason: there's always one typo