Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

very early post-surgery

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 17:00

Hello

I had my surgery 4 days ago (robotic prostatectomy with lymph node removal). Not doing too badly for such an early stage.

2 questions:

Any advice in dealing with very swollen scrotum apparently related to lymph node removal?

Any advice on passing a stool without straining?

Thank you

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 21:46
Swelling can be a complication with lymph removal and can be permanent. However too early for you to tell at this moment. You need a good laxative today start pooing and should have been prescribed one. Otherwise get generic Magnesium Hydroxide from chemist.

I could barely touch my balls for 12 weeks post surgery but am a very clean guy. I literally had to treat them like land mines for weeks and also had total thigh numbness etc. It will pass hopefully

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 21:52

Hi David,

My scrotum had swollen to the size of a grapefruit in the days following my surgery, my penis would often seem to disappear and I was pretty shocked. I found it uncomfortable rather than painful, most of the discomfort being due to the catheter. I was told that it is not uncommon for this to happen, and in my case, the swelling went down a few days after the catheter was removed.

As for the stool, apart from softeners, I kept well hydrated and found that standing (shuffling around the house) using gravity helped a bit. I would often stand at the window watching the birds on the garden feeder rather than sit on my sore bum. 

Hope this helps.

Kev.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 21:01

I believe the swollen scrotum is not unusual although I was lucky not to be so afflicted. I have seen other comments but cannot remember where. (Try the search).

As for not straining..Dulcoease ( also called Docusate Sodium or dioctyl) and Laxido both work. You should be able to get either or both prescribed although they are both available over the counter if you don't want to wait. Personally I would get some asap ....you do not want to strain.

Best wishes

Phil

Edited by member 08 Dec 2019 at 10:18  | Reason: spelling

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 22:14
Unfortunately constipation is a common side-effect of the opiate painkillers you generally get given in hospital. As others have said, take stool softeners and wait for nature to take its course. It may take a week or more.

Chris

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 22:16
At only 4 days post op, your swollen testicles are nothing to do with lymph node removal. You have had a vasectomy alongside everything else and should have been warned that you would need well fitting pants to support the scrotum if it swells a lot.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 22:48

I’m 10 days post RARP. Would recommend lactulose syrup, fibogel with plenty of water. Ensure you drink at least 2ltr water a day. My good lady make a giant veg casserole with legumes too which helped loads as lived on that for a few days when I got home and it sorted out the milks constipation. Prunes and dried apricots also worth adding to the toolbox. 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2019 at 16:32
Thanks for all the comments. Hospital did give me Movicol (laxative) and I have progressed (ha!) to passing wind. I will try and be a patient patient.
User
Posted 09 Dec 2019 at 11:23

Hi DavidF1955

I am just 2 weeks post RARP.  I was given Movicol in the hospital; at least once a day, maybe twice and I was very pleased when on day 2 post op I was able to do a poo easily and without straining!  Didn’t take anymore Movicol after hospital stay (3 nights) although they were keen to send me home with a huge box of the sachets!

Fortunately I had no scrotum swelling post op.

Hope you get comfortable very soon.

Grant60 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 21:01

I believe the swollen scrotum is not unusual although I was lucky not to be so afflicted. I have seen other comments but cannot remember where. (Try the search).

As for not straining..Dulcoease ( also called Docusate Sodium or dioctyl) and Laxido both work. You should be able to get either or both prescribed although they are both available over the counter if you don't want to wait. Personally I would get some asap ....you do not want to strain.

Best wishes

Phil

Edited by member 08 Dec 2019 at 10:18  | Reason: spelling

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 21:46
Swelling can be a complication with lymph removal and can be permanent. However too early for you to tell at this moment. You need a good laxative today start pooing and should have been prescribed one. Otherwise get generic Magnesium Hydroxide from chemist.

I could barely touch my balls for 12 weeks post surgery but am a very clean guy. I literally had to treat them like land mines for weeks and also had total thigh numbness etc. It will pass hopefully

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 21:52

Hi David,

My scrotum had swollen to the size of a grapefruit in the days following my surgery, my penis would often seem to disappear and I was pretty shocked. I found it uncomfortable rather than painful, most of the discomfort being due to the catheter. I was told that it is not uncommon for this to happen, and in my case, the swelling went down a few days after the catheter was removed.

As for the stool, apart from softeners, I kept well hydrated and found that standing (shuffling around the house) using gravity helped a bit. I would often stand at the window watching the birds on the garden feeder rather than sit on my sore bum. 

Hope this helps.

Kev.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 22:14
Unfortunately constipation is a common side-effect of the opiate painkillers you generally get given in hospital. As others have said, take stool softeners and wait for nature to take its course. It may take a week or more.

Chris

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 22:16
At only 4 days post op, your swollen testicles are nothing to do with lymph node removal. You have had a vasectomy alongside everything else and should have been warned that you would need well fitting pants to support the scrotum if it swells a lot.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 22:48

I’m 10 days post RARP. Would recommend lactulose syrup, fibogel with plenty of water. Ensure you drink at least 2ltr water a day. My good lady make a giant veg casserole with legumes too which helped loads as lived on that for a few days when I got home and it sorted out the milks constipation. Prunes and dried apricots also worth adding to the toolbox. 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2019 at 16:32
Thanks for all the comments. Hospital did give me Movicol (laxative) and I have progressed (ha!) to passing wind. I will try and be a patient patient.
User
Posted 08 Dec 2019 at 17:34

Lactulose syrup was very effective. Needs to come from Pharmacist I think but turned me into a Falcon 9 rocket :D

User
Posted 08 Dec 2019 at 21:38
The swelling is due to gas (CO2) used to pump up your innards so they can furtle around inside you with room to move.

It leaches into other areas thus the swollen appendages.

You may also get pains in your shoulders as well as the gas moves around.

Be patient - it does do down.

Burping does not help :)

User
Posted 09 Dec 2019 at 11:23

Hi DavidF1955

I am just 2 weeks post RARP.  I was given Movicol in the hospital; at least once a day, maybe twice and I was very pleased when on day 2 post op I was able to do a poo easily and without straining!  Didn’t take anymore Movicol after hospital stay (3 nights) although they were keen to send me home with a huge box of the sachets!

Fortunately I had no scrotum swelling post op.

Hope you get comfortable very soon.

Grant60 

User
Posted 09 Dec 2019 at 12:13

So here's an update - I have managed to pass a stool - okay, okay, i'll say it! - I have manged to do a poo - and I feel so much better! The first one was quite dramatic, needed multiple flushes!

Still swollen around the operation site(s), and very very swollen scrotum, but not painful, just uncomfortable. I am walking (waddling) around the house, and even walked outside the house for 100 yards or so.

I have a follow-up at the hospital this week, and a date for an appointment with the consultant to discuss histology results in about 4 weeks time

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 06:38

I have just returned home from same op and is therefore good to read someone else who has done the same.