I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Returning to physical activity post radical prostatectomy?

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 20:28

Hi new to the site.

I am 4 weeks post-surgery. Before surgery, I trained at least 2 to 3  times a week. I trained in  contact martial arts.  Does anybody have advice, experience on how long after surgery it is safe to return to training?

Best regards.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 23:07
You should wait until at least your post-op appointment with the surgeon and then talk to him/her about it. You are at significant risk of a hernia if you do too much too soon. If you cycle, ask your surgeon about that as well - some say to wait 6 months before getting back in the saddle to give the nerves controlling erections the best chance of repairing themselves.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 23:21

Hi R Wilson

I was told do NOTHING for 6 weeks except walking basically. You are obviously a physical guy. Your external scars at the holes may appear to heal well but I would err on the side of caution for the internal work. Don't forget you have been in major surgery even if it does not look like it. I am 6 months post Op and still feel tender at the wound areas. There is a big risk of hernia and your surgeon will not be pleased to see you again if you have overdone it....

Wishing you all the best. 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2019 at 07:39
You've had lots of internal muscles cut, and these take months, not weeks, to heal. Take it easy and listen to what your body is telling you when it comes to pain.

Best wishes,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 23:07
You should wait until at least your post-op appointment with the surgeon and then talk to him/her about it. You are at significant risk of a hernia if you do too much too soon. If you cycle, ask your surgeon about that as well - some say to wait 6 months before getting back in the saddle to give the nerves controlling erections the best chance of repairing themselves.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Dec 2019 at 23:21

Hi R Wilson

I was told do NOTHING for 6 weeks except walking basically. You are obviously a physical guy. Your external scars at the holes may appear to heal well but I would err on the side of caution for the internal work. Don't forget you have been in major surgery even if it does not look like it. I am 6 months post Op and still feel tender at the wound areas. There is a big risk of hernia and your surgeon will not be pleased to see you again if you have overdone it....

Wishing you all the best. 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2019 at 07:39
You've had lots of internal muscles cut, and these take months, not weeks, to heal. Take it easy and listen to what your body is telling you when it comes to pain.

Best wishes,

Chris