Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

my dad had a poor reaction to Enzalutamide, any advice plz

User
Posted 11 Dec 2019 at 20:08

hi 

my dad ( 76 year old) has gone through chemo (10 sessions) this year after abiraterone stopped working.

his PSA rose from 4 to 27 within 2 months after chemo, so his onco prescribed 4 capsules of Enzalutamide a day. it was brought down to 2 caps a day as my dad was complaining it being too strong. he feelt like his feet were on fire.

but within 2 weeks of having Enza he is so poorly and weak that he can't even go to toilet on his own.

he can't eat solids anymore as he can't hold them down . he also appeared a bit confused. 

we have stopped Enza for ten days as advised by his onco, but my dad is still really poorly . he is even having occasional problem controlling his urine. 

any advice or information will be really appreciated. 

regards

User
Posted 11 Dec 2019 at 23:18
Does your dad have spinal mets? If so, google spinal cord compression (SCC) and if dad is showing any of the symptoms, call 999. Symptoms include not being able to feel his legs, pins and needles in his legs or feet, bowel incontinence and not being able to feel when his bladder is full.

Has he been referred to palliative care, the local hospice or similar? I would want someone to assess him and see if there is any equipment or professional support that will make his life easier. I would also want someone to review his pain meds and this sort of thing is usually done best by the Macmillan or hospice nurses.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Dec 2019 at 17:19
hi

thanks for responding. that's what i feared initially, that he might have SCC. but thankfully he does not have most of the alarming symptoms like numbness or pins and needles. his bowl and urinary leak problems are also because of the extreme fatigue he is going through.

he doesn't have that many pains as well. hardly takes a pain killer 2,3 times a week.

we are more worried about this weakness that has engulfed him in the last 10 days or so. couple of weeks ago he was eating small portions of solids. but now he can't seem to swallow anything other than liquids.

regards

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 16:21

My husband was on Enza for 3 months and it did more damage than good.  His PSA went from 3.2 to 38.  We read an article from Wilmot Cancer Institute in Rochester NY USA (Chawnshang Chang PhD) that the drug inadvertently causes a side effect that makes the cancer more aggressive.  Neuroendocrine differentiation which makes the tumors resistant to treatment.  We wondered if this is what happened with my husband.  Don't know.  We regret he was ever on it, but there are not a lot of other options.  Dr said if he did not respond well to Enzalutamide, Aberaterone is not an option either.   He qualified for a phase I trial at Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN near where we live and will have scans on 1/2 to see if it is working.  

Saint Paul