I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Suspect MRI but clear biopsy

User
Posted 13 Dec 2019 at 16:02

A couple of months ago, I had a couple of UTIs in the space of a few weeks and my doctor referred me to a uroglogist. During my DRE, some firmness was detected, my PSA was 2.4 (I'm 47 years old) so I was sent for an MRI and a targeted biopsy from the MRI results. My MRI results came back with a number of bilateral PIRADS 4 and 5 rated lesions, and a suggestion of prostate cancer stage of T3a N0 M0. After my biopsy, I had all the classic symptoms of prostatitis. A few weeks later I had my biopsy results and no adenocarcinoma was seen, but I had severe active chronic prostatitis. My questions are, how do they detect prostatitis from a biopsy, and I've been given a course of two weeks antibiotics to clear it up, should this be enough? I do have a follow up MRI in 3 months time together with a PSA test. I'm just worried that something has been missed.

Thanks for reading.

User
Posted 13 Dec 2019 at 17:35
You have had the best diagnostic tests, they have taken samples from the suspicious areas seen on the scan and the samples contained no cancerous cells. It is always possible that something can be missed but you have a better chance than most of it not being the case.

Diagnosing prostatitis is a process of elimination of other causes but bacterial prostatitis (which needs antibiotics to clear) can be seen in the cells or prostatic fluid removed during the biopsy.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard