Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Best Christmas Present Ever!

User
Posted 13 Dec 2019 at 20:51

Hello everyone.

I have been a ‘silent’ member of the Forum during my ongoing treatment and have found the contributions from other members to be an enormous source of information and support. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences that really do provide newly-diagnosed folks (like I was) with the help they need in choosing their own treatment. You’re all heroes.

For me, at least, possibly the single biggest question was whether to opt for RP with its incontinence/ED side-effects or for RT with the particular PCA diagnosis that I was given (you learn quickly that everyone’s condition and diagnosis is different). I have seen lots of posts, mainly from younger members with early diagnosis, asking for guidance and direction on their own treatment so thought it might be useful to others to see what I opted for.

I was a fit 53 year old when I was diagnosed and as you’ll read in my bio you’ll see that I opted for the radical surgery option. I had open surgery in September 2019 and the recovery has been longer than that experienced by our robotic friends, but the post-prostatectomy PSA test results I received last week should mean that I can really enjoy Christmas. I won’t lie, it’s been really, really tough...I wouldn’t wish this condition and its treatment on my worst enemy, but I’m through the pain and discomfort and I’ve been fortunate to have had no incontinence at all and, after 3 months, ‘Little Andy’ is beginning to wake up again which, according to Mr Whocannotbenamed, is well ahead of the curve.

I thought I’d post this in the hope that if it helps just one person to make their own informed decision then it has been worth the 20 mins to post this into the Forum. I’ve absolutely no regrets and am pleased with the decision I took and, obviously, with the eventual outcome.

Happy Christmas everyone!

Andy.

User
Posted 13 Dec 2019 at 20:51

Hello everyone.

I have been a ‘silent’ member of the Forum during my ongoing treatment and have found the contributions from other members to be an enormous source of information and support. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences that really do provide newly-diagnosed folks (like I was) with the help they need in choosing their own treatment. You’re all heroes.

For me, at least, possibly the single biggest question was whether to opt for RP with its incontinence/ED side-effects or for RT with the particular PCA diagnosis that I was given (you learn quickly that everyone’s condition and diagnosis is different). I have seen lots of posts, mainly from younger members with early diagnosis, asking for guidance and direction on their own treatment so thought it might be useful to others to see what I opted for.

I was a fit 53 year old when I was diagnosed and as you’ll read in my bio you’ll see that I opted for the radical surgery option. I had open surgery in September 2019 and the recovery has been longer than that experienced by our robotic friends, but the post-prostatectomy PSA test results I received last week should mean that I can really enjoy Christmas. I won’t lie, it’s been really, really tough...I wouldn’t wish this condition and its treatment on my worst enemy, but I’m through the pain and discomfort and I’ve been fortunate to have had no incontinence at all and, after 3 months, ‘Little Andy’ is beginning to wake up again which, according to Mr Whocannotbenamed, is well ahead of the curve.

I thought I’d post this in the hope that if it helps just one person to make their own informed decision then it has been worth the 20 mins to post this into the Forum. I’ve absolutely no regrets and am pleased with the decision I took and, obviously, with the eventual outcome.

Happy Christmas everyone!

Andy.

User
Posted 13 Dec 2019 at 23:35
Super first post- have a fab christmas and look forward to a better 2020
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 01:00
Have a great Christmas and stay optimistic. I was in your position last year and now, one year on, have hopefully come out of this relatively unscathed. Stay positive and look forward to a better year ahead.
User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 07:21
Great news for you and have a relaxed Xmas.
User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 08:21

Great news Andy long may it continue Happy Christmas.

John.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 09:53

Great news Andy and thanks for the post. We are same age so I can appreciate the shock of getting the news. I'm at the stage of waiting to have MRI to get full facts of what's going on. Like yourself the stress this has caused/ causing is tremendous. Trying to put it out of your mind can be hard, but you've gotta try or go insane.

Hope the good news continues for you and thanks again? As a side question, does the Warwickshire white reference indicate you are a fellow Leeds fan?  Sorry everyone who isn't 😉

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Dec 2019 at 23:35
Super first post- have a fab christmas and look forward to a better 2020
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 01:00
Have a great Christmas and stay optimistic. I was in your position last year and now, one year on, have hopefully come out of this relatively unscathed. Stay positive and look forward to a better year ahead.
User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 07:21
Great news for you and have a relaxed Xmas.
User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 08:21

Great news Andy long may it continue Happy Christmas.

John.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 09:53

Great news Andy and thanks for the post. We are same age so I can appreciate the shock of getting the news. I'm at the stage of waiting to have MRI to get full facts of what's going on. Like yourself the stress this has caused/ causing is tremendous. Trying to put it out of your mind can be hard, but you've gotta try or go insane.

Hope the good news continues for you and thanks again? As a side question, does the Warwickshire white reference indicate you are a fellow Leeds fan?  Sorry everyone who isn't 😉

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 10:08

MOT

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 10:33

😁 MOT right back at you...looking forward to the game today, was up on boxing Day, terrible first half, thankfully pulled it back tho...

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 12:08

I’m not sure which is the most stressful...following that stupid football team or being diagnosed with PCa!! 😜

Sounds like you’ve still some way to go on your journey to finding out exactly what’s going on. The MRI won’t in itself provide a definitive diagnosis and depending on what that shows you might then have to undergo a biopsy to determine whether it is PCa. You’ll see from my bio that I had the MRI in April and received the diagnosis at the end of July. You’ll see many posts that say that it is the waiting that is the worst and I can totally empathise with that, especially when at every intermediate milestone you are given bad news. It’s easy for folk to tell you to be positive but when this positivity begins to wear out over a long period those are the times you really need your partner/family/friends for support. I’ll be interested to hear about your journey Steve. Good luck. 

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 12:23

Good news now, and great that ED progress is being made so early.

Just curious - why did you go for open, or what criteria made that preferred?

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 13:29

I went for open as the Consultant Urologist, Mr Whocannotbenamed, said that statistically he got better nerve-sparing results when using his hands rather than with robotic assistance. That was good enough for me. The downside has been that recovery has been a long process but hopefully this has been a price worth paying for the best chance of returning back to normal functionality below the waistline 👍