Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should I be doing anything else?

User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 10:29

My first post - please be gentle!

Following epididymitis-orchitis that didn't respond to antibiotics, I had surgery to drain what they called a hydrocele/abccess. Surgery was fine, and I'm now 4 months post op. and recovering well. It was noted that I had a large prostate during initial diagnosis, and concurrent with the epididymitis-orchitis I had retention symptoms (highish post void, hesitation, frequency). I was advised to follow this up with my GP and consider Tamsulosin.

As part of the follow-up with my GP, he agreed with Tamsulosin, but before starting he wanted PSA. First was 4.1, repeated 3 weeks alter and it was 5. He started me on Tamsulosin, but because of 'red flags' (I assume PSA increase) he referred me to urology. I got an appointment 4 days later, and an MRI 1 week after.

The MRI report states 'PIRADS 2, some focal adenomas centrally within the gland'. Prostate volume 38ml, PSAD 0.13.

I started Tamsulosin, it is certainly helping, just hesitation now (I controlled nocturia be shifting my liquid intake to earlier in the day).

I am having another PSA test in early feb (3 months after the MRI), followed by an outpatient appointment to review PSA and decide on future monitoring.

Is this considered 'Active Surveillance'?

Should I be doing anything else (private scans etc?).

Should I be worried?

My father died of bladder cancer.

The NHS is great, the surgery was done as an emergency, staff were wonderful, even the food was better than I expected! Waiting times for me have been fine for this condition.

User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 17:41
Active Surveillance is when you've been diagnosed with prostate cancer and it's decided that no immediate treatment is required. In your case, they're just keeping an eye on your PSA to decide what the best course of action is. A PIRADS score of 2 indicates that cancer is unlikely.

If your PSA doesn't fall, the next logical step would be a biopsy, but cross that bridge if and when you come to it.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 14 Dec 2019 at 17:48
Thanks Chris, that is what I thought, just wanted to make sure I was OK without second opinion.

I'll wait for the appt. in Feb.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 11:22
Blood test done, review appointment with urology next Thursday.

If my PSA is raised further (it was 5.0 3 months ago), would they suggest a biopsy? or another MRI? If they did an MRI, would it most likely be a mpMRI with a view to doing a template biopsy if anything is detected?

I'm under urology at Royal Berks Hospital in Reading.

Just want a clear idea of what options they might throw at me next week, but hopefully PSA will indicate nothing to do.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 11:39

I think there's a chance they'll do a biopsy unless your PSA has dropped (or maybe wait a bit and test PSA again).

Do feel free to pop along to the Reading Prostate Cancer Support Group on Friday 7th Feb at 18:30 in St Andrew's Church Hall (right next to Royal Berks), and/or contact one of us via the contact page if you want some 1-2-1 support before then.

It's certainly worth mentioning the bladder cancer to them - I've no idea if it's inherited to anything like the same extent as prostate and breast cancer.

Edited by moderator 07 Dec 2022 at 11:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2020 at 11:44
Thanks Andy, I'm not in Reading itself so not easy to get there on a Friday night, but nice to know support is there if I need it.
User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 14:40
Just back from urology - PSA is now 2.7 - PHEW!!!!

Next check in 6 months with GP.

Thanks to all, all the best, hope I don't see you again (and I mean that in the nicest possible way!)

User
Posted 06 Feb 2020 at 14:47
Excellent news!

Best wishes,

Chris