Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad diagnosed, Oncologist appointment tomorrow

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 13:00

Hello all,

Dad has been diagnosed with PC and we have our first oncologist meeting tomorrow afternoon. I’ve got so many thoughts running through my head at the moment, but I don’t want to miss any questions I should be asking the oncologist tomorrow.

Earlier in the year, around May, he was admitted to hospital to have his bladder drained as he hadn’t been able to urinate for 3 days. He was then told he had an enlarged prostrate and offered a TURP to remedy the problem. He had this carried out mid September. 
At the beginning of December he was told that part of what they removed was cancerous and he was to have MRI, CT and bone scans. 
He already had an MRI scheduled from his physio as he has had to use crutches since shortly before the TURP to help him walk. This scan showed cancer around his spine. He then had all scans postponed and started steroids and a 5 day course of radiotherapy. 
Thursday last week he had his CT scan and Friday was called back into the hospital a&e as they had found he has a fractured hip (even though he is still walking with aid from his crutches). 
He has now had all scans and tomorrow we will be seeing the oncologist for the first time.

As you can imagine I’m hoping for the best, but fearing for the worst. 

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 13:00

Hello all,

Dad has been diagnosed with PC and we have our first oncologist meeting tomorrow afternoon. I’ve got so many thoughts running through my head at the moment, but I don’t want to miss any questions I should be asking the oncologist tomorrow.

Earlier in the year, around May, he was admitted to hospital to have his bladder drained as he hadn’t been able to urinate for 3 days. He was then told he had an enlarged prostrate and offered a TURP to remedy the problem. He had this carried out mid September. 
At the beginning of December he was told that part of what they removed was cancerous and he was to have MRI, CT and bone scans. 
He already had an MRI scheduled from his physio as he has had to use crutches since shortly before the TURP to help him walk. This scan showed cancer around his spine. He then had all scans postponed and started steroids and a 5 day course of radiotherapy. 
Thursday last week he had his CT scan and Friday was called back into the hospital a&e as they had found he has a fractured hip (even though he is still walking with aid from his crutches). 
He has now had all scans and tomorrow we will be seeing the oncologist for the first time.

As you can imagine I’m hoping for the best, but fearing for the worst. 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 21:53

Good luck. 

al

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 14:57
If they've found that the cancer has spread to his spine, then it is incurable - that's the first thing to understand. But "incurable" does not mean "terminal" - there's a whole array of different treatments available which could keep your dad around for many years to come.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Dec 2019 at 18:24

Thanks Chris,

Just all seems to be happening so quickly 

User
Posted 15 Mar 2020 at 20:47

Hi, just read your post, I am awaiting the results of spine mri, quite worried, just wondered how your dad was getting on 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 19:20

The cancer has spread to his bones, but it is not in his lymph nodes. It was the cause of his broken hip, which he has now had replaced. His hormone treatment is working well and his psa level is falling. Starting chemotherapy this week which they have said should hopefully give him an extra 3-10 months.

User
Posted 16 Mar 2020 at 21:53

Good luck. 

al

User
Posted 17 Apr 2020 at 11:58

Hi

i was diagnosed about this time last year, and cancer had metastasie in the the plevis and Lymph nodes, also have advaned Bladder cancer diagnosed soon after. im am on life long Androgen hormone therapy, and have had Radiation therapy. at present feeling 100% healthy and back out riding my bike daily for about 30 miles.

Keep positive, also i have radicaly changed my diet to a vegan diet, and personally i feel this has realy helped in managing my cancer , last PSA was 0.018, wich is brilliant, you can live with this and be healthy.