I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Thermometers!

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 16:05

Hospitals use digital  thermometers that take the temperature in the ear.

i wonder how accurate these are. I bought one to check my temperature during chemotherapy. Patients are asked to report increases in temperature above 37.5 degrees. Trouble is, a) mine has been 37.6 even before treatment, and b) the readings vary depending on which ear the device is placed in, and even between readings in the same ear.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 16:40

Hi GWR, I did the same before Chemo. Got the Braun Thermoscan which is the same one the practice nurse at GP uses. Find it pretty reliable and accurate. Always check the same ear (as one side is usually different to the other) and let it warm up before using. I also got an under the tongue one to compare temp and its pretty much always within 0.1 degree.

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 16:55

Not sure if it applies to digital thermometers, but frequent usage say every minute or so and ambient temperature can affect electronic components and therefore for readings. 

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 17 Dec 2019 at 18:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 00:33
I have a digital and an old mercury under the tongue and found they give pretty identical results as they should.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 04:04

Oh, don’t get me started on thermometers. Honestly, we have gone through two. I get such different readings in each ear. We bought a new one that you run over your forehead and it works ok. Honestly though, it has been a challenge.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 16:40

Hi GWR, I did the same before Chemo. Got the Braun Thermoscan which is the same one the practice nurse at GP uses. Find it pretty reliable and accurate. Always check the same ear (as one side is usually different to the other) and let it warm up before using. I also got an under the tongue one to compare temp and its pretty much always within 0.1 degree.

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 17 Dec 2019 at 16:55

Not sure if it applies to digital thermometers, but frequent usage say every minute or so and ambient temperature can affect electronic components and therefore for readings. 

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 17 Dec 2019 at 18:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 00:33
I have a digital and an old mercury under the tongue and found they give pretty identical results as they should.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 04:04

Oh, don’t get me started on thermometers. Honestly, we have gone through two. I get such different readings in each ear. We bought a new one that you run over your forehead and it works ok. Honestly though, it has been a challenge.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 11:04
Try the vets approach!!!