I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Two weeks post-op (RARP)

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 13:34

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my previous post or has shared their own stories. Everyone's experiences are slightly different but I find people's posts are useful and reassuring to read.

It’s now two weeks since my operation and I’m doing OK so far. Catheter is out - hurrah! I am not experiencing any pain, though I do still feel a lot of discomfort around the operation sites, with the main problem being the swollen scrotum, though even that is not quite as bad as it was. Some occasional leaking of urine (I'm using Tena no 2 pads), but only when I move from sitting to standing suddenly or if I laugh or cough. 

At night it’s difficult to get comfortable enough to fall asleep, due to the swollen scrotum, and from itching around the surgery wounds, which leaves me tired during the day. Some days are better than others, but the overall trend is positive. However, most of the day I am up and about, reading, watching television, and walking around the house. I have even graduated to some minor chores such as emptying the dishwasher and folding the laundry. I am also getting out of the house for short (10-15 minute) walks every day.  

I have an appointment for histology results in early January. My Gleason was 4+5, so I hope everything will be OK.

Best wishes to everyone,

David

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 14:32

Hi David,

Getting rid of the catheter is definitely a milestone to cheer about, and the swelling will soon be a thing of the past too.

Take it easy with the household chores though, apart from risking over doing things, you'll give my other half funny ideas if she reads this.

Regards,

Kev.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 16:40

Sounds like you’re doing well. Big milestone getting the catheter out.

Best of luck for post op meeting in January.

Ido4

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 08:35

Sounds like great progress. Take it easy and enjoy the festive period. Good luck for post-op meeting. Have mine this weekend.

TG

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 09:12

I overdid the walking as far as my pads were concerned.  Walking causes a constant leak and suddenly I was very wet as the pad was full, I'd say about a mile. Luckily my wife had a plastic bag to cover the car seat.

After that I carried a spare. 

Pad fullness can be judged by weight.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 10:00

Build up slowly. You may have over done it. 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 10:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I wanted to thank everyone who responded to my previous post or has shared their own stories. Everyone's experiences are slightly different but I find people's posts are useful and reassuring to read.

It’s now two weeks since my operation and I’m doing OK so far. Catheter is out - hurrah! I am not experiencing any pain, though I do still feel a lot of discomfort around the operation sites, with the main problem being the swollen scrotum, though even that is not quite as bad as it was. Some occasional leaking of urine (I'm using Tena no 2 pads), but only when I move from sitting to standing suddenly or if I laugh or cough. 

At night it’s difficult to get comfortable enough to fall asleep, due to the swollen scrotum, and from itching around the surgery wounds, which leaves me tired during the day. Some days are better than others, but the overall trend is positive. However, most of the day I am up and about, reading, watching television, and walking around the house. I have even graduated to some minor chores such as emptying the dishwasher and folding the laundry. I am also getting out of the house for short (10-15 minute) walks every day.  

I have an appointment for histology results in early January. My Gleason was 4+5, so I hope everything will be OK.

Best wishes to everyone,

David

Hello David good to hear your getting out and about. I am currently  on day 3 post op and I am following your thread to see where I might be in a couple of weeks time. Keep posting if can as I am finding your experiences very interesting.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 18:35

Hi Dave

What you are describing at 2 weeks is what my husband experienced now 8 weeks post OP. Things will get better  day by day with the scrotum,  the itching (means healing) wounds. Wishing you a good recovery. Don't over do it on the bending or chores let everything heal internally. A nap or rest in the afternoon might help with the tiredness. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 14:32

Hi David,

Getting rid of the catheter is definitely a milestone to cheer about, and the swelling will soon be a thing of the past too.

Take it easy with the household chores though, apart from risking over doing things, you'll give my other half funny ideas if she reads this.

Regards,

Kev.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2019 at 16:40

Sounds like you’re doing well. Big milestone getting the catheter out.

Best of luck for post op meeting in January.

Ido4

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 08:35

Sounds like great progress. Take it easy and enjoy the festive period. Good luck for post-op meeting. Have mine this weekend.

TG

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 09:12

I overdid the walking as far as my pads were concerned.  Walking causes a constant leak and suddenly I was very wet as the pad was full, I'd say about a mile. Luckily my wife had a plastic bag to cover the car seat.

After that I carried a spare. 

Pad fullness can be judged by weight.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 10:00

Build up slowly. You may have over done it. 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 10:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Best wishes to everyone,

David

Hello David good to hear your getting out and about. I am currently  on day 3 post op and I am following your thread to see where I might be in a couple of weeks time. Keep posting if can as I am finding your experiences very interesting.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 18:35

Hi Dave

What you are describing at 2 weeks is what my husband experienced now 8 weeks post OP. Things will get better  day by day with the scrotum,  the itching (means healing) wounds. Wishing you a good recovery. Don't over do it on the bending or chores let everything heal internally. A nap or rest in the afternoon might help with the tiredness.