I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tamsulosin capsules

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 18:40

I wonder if anyone could help please ,my dad is taking tamsulosin caps for an enlarged Prostate,he has recently had radiotherapy for throat cancer and is unable to eat or drink orally ,everything is administered through a feeding tube in his stomach. Does anybody know if tamsulosin is in a liquid formula ? He’s tried opening the capsule ( as advised by the pharmacist) and flushing it through the tube but that became blocked .How long could he go without taking these tablets before his symptoms return .

any advice greatly received.

Debby 

User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 20:15

Have you tried dissolving the powder that's in the capsule in water before putting it down the tube?

Tamsulosin acts almost instantly, but it disappears equally quickly. I'm taking a 400mg Tamsulosin capsule (or tablet - my pharmacy gives it to me in both forms pretty much at random) every other day, and on the day that I don't take it I can definitely feel the difference in terms of reduced flow.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 19 Dec 2019 at 20:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Dec 2019 at 02:54

Debbie,
What were his symptoms?

In many men, tamsulosin generates a 20% improved flow rate, which helps to achieve complete voiding. There are other ways which can work to achieve this, such as double voiding (wait for 30 seconds, and have another pee, and repeat until no more urine).

In other men, it's necessary to avoid acute urinary retention and emergency catheterisation.

Tamsulosin is usually provided in a modified release form to prevent absorption immediately, because you would get an instant overdose where you could collapse due to low blood pressure, followed by no effect because it's all gone. Even then, it needs to be taken with food, because otherwise absorption is too fast.

Guessing here, but I would have thought doing as the pharmacist suggested should work, but perhaps sprinkling capsule into water (but not dissolving) so there's more liquid to flush it through. Must be after food, and not on an empty stomach. Don't do it by grinding up or dissolving the pill or the capsule contents, as that would probably destroy the modified release property and generate an overdose.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2019 at 09:42
If it becomes a problem Debby, you might need to broach the idea of a TURP with dad and his medical team. Surgery may seem a bit extreme but with such a horrible cancer treatment at one end of his digestive system, I guess he would like to be as comfortable as possible at the other end!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Dec 2019 at 20:15

Have you tried dissolving the powder that's in the capsule in water before putting it down the tube?

Tamsulosin acts almost instantly, but it disappears equally quickly. I'm taking a 400mg Tamsulosin capsule (or tablet - my pharmacy gives it to me in both forms pretty much at random) every other day, and on the day that I don't take it I can definitely feel the difference in terms of reduced flow.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 19 Dec 2019 at 20:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Dec 2019 at 02:54

Debbie,
What were his symptoms?

In many men, tamsulosin generates a 20% improved flow rate, which helps to achieve complete voiding. There are other ways which can work to achieve this, such as double voiding (wait for 30 seconds, and have another pee, and repeat until no more urine).

In other men, it's necessary to avoid acute urinary retention and emergency catheterisation.

Tamsulosin is usually provided in a modified release form to prevent absorption immediately, because you would get an instant overdose where you could collapse due to low blood pressure, followed by no effect because it's all gone. Even then, it needs to be taken with food, because otherwise absorption is too fast.

Guessing here, but I would have thought doing as the pharmacist suggested should work, but perhaps sprinkling capsule into water (but not dissolving) so there's more liquid to flush it through. Must be after food, and not on an empty stomach. Don't do it by grinding up or dissolving the pill or the capsule contents, as that would probably destroy the modified release property and generate an overdose.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2019 at 09:42
If it becomes a problem Debby, you might need to broach the idea of a TURP with dad and his medical team. Surgery may seem a bit extreme but with such a horrible cancer treatment at one end of his digestive system, I guess he would like to be as comfortable as possible at the other end!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard