I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Good friend has just been diagnosed

User
Posted 22 Dec 2019 at 20:11

Don’t know how to start but my partner’s ex has just been diagnosed. He only had flulike symptoms and it makes me think that it’s very advanced and already in his lymph system. I’ve lost lots of friends lately and have a terminal family member and to be honest I’ve just had enough. Just sat on my own with a bottle of wine and it’s bad. But not as it is for him.

Does anyone know of flulike symptoms with prostate cancer?

john

User
Posted 22 Dec 2019 at 22:31

John

There are alot of us on here who were diagnosed as a result of something totally unrelated to prostate cancer. I went to the doctors with a shoulder problem, one thing led to another and diagnosis. 

Have you got his full results, it may help understand his situation.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Dec 2019 at 22:50
Those don't sound like prostate cancer symptoms. Typically there are no symptoms whatsoever when it's localised, and bone pain if it's spread into the bones. But flulike symptoms - no. As Chris said, it's extremely common for prostate cancer to be found when something else is being looked at - that's exactly what happened to me.

When you say your friend has been diagnosed, do you mean he's gone through all the diagnostic tests - MRI scan, biopsy, bone scan - and been given a final staging, or has he just been told that he may have prostate cancer?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 10:13

At this time of year, 'flu-like symptoms probably indicate a dose of 'flu! They will certainly have nothing to do with prostate cancer. It is natural to jump to the worst conclusions, but unless he has gone through the battery of tests, it is way too early to be thinking about mets in the lymph system.
Hermit

Edited by member 24 Dec 2019 at 11:07  | Reason: Not specified