Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

LASER TREATMENT FOR ENLARGED PROSTATE

User
Posted 23 Dec 2019 at 15:18

Hi and Seasons Greetings.

Wondered whether anyone has experience of the above laser treatment for cancer patients and its success.It appears to be available on NHS as a treatment option.

Am finishing 6 cycles of chemo. at the end of month.Have been on Finasteride and Tamsulosin tablets since diagnosed in July which has helped with flow problems.Like all medications they have are some side effects.If laser treatment is effective and low risk then may be better alternative long term to these tablets ? 

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 00:26
I didn't read the title, Norm - I thought you were asking about green light laser treatment for the cancer :-/

Having said that, HoLEP is only approved for benign prostate conditions and men with prostate cancer are excluded from the current trial but there is no harm in talking to your urologist to see what s/he thinks. I suspect they will feel that the risk of aggravating the cancer is too great.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Dec 2019 at 18:17
Hi Norm, unfortunately you would not be suitable for laser treatment to the prostate because you have advanced cancer with lymph and bone mets. Local treatments like lasers and cryotherapy are aimed at men with early stage low risk prostate cancer.

You will probably be on hormone treatment of one kind or another for the rest of your life.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Dec 2019 at 23:20

That would be HoLEP (Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate).

Someone asked this at a recent support group meeting with a couple of senior urologists there. They both said it's OK, but no better than an experienced urologist doing TURP.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Dec 2019 at 18:17
Hi Norm, unfortunately you would not be suitable for laser treatment to the prostate because you have advanced cancer with lymph and bone mets. Local treatments like lasers and cryotherapy are aimed at men with early stage low risk prostate cancer.

You will probably be on hormone treatment of one kind or another for the rest of your life.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2019 at 23:14
Lynn, I read Norm's post as asking whether focussed laser ablation could be of assistance with flow issues, for which he's currently taking tablets. I don't think it would help with that; do you?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Dec 2019 at 23:20

That would be HoLEP (Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate).

Someone asked this at a recent support group meeting with a couple of senior urologists there. They both said it's OK, but no better than an experienced urologist doing TURP.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2019 at 23:28

Hi Lyn,

Many thanks for your reply.Have I misunderstood in my reading on this ?This seemed to suggest the laser treatment could be used in cases where mets. was present to skim a bit of the the enlarged prostate to ease pressure on the waterworks supply pipe.Notwithstanding the cancer will remain in the gland and elsewhere and  still need other treatment .

Regards

Norm

User
Posted 24 Dec 2019 at 00:26
I didn't read the title, Norm - I thought you were asking about green light laser treatment for the cancer :-/

Having said that, HoLEP is only approved for benign prostate conditions and men with prostate cancer are excluded from the current trial but there is no harm in talking to your urologist to see what s/he thinks. I suspect they will feel that the risk of aggravating the cancer is too great.