I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pink in Urine

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 14:02

So typically, it being boxing day and no real access to any phone based support - I thought I would ask on here before panicking too much.

Had my RP last Tuesday (17th), home on the 18th.

Christmas Eve, had some quite dark pink urine in the bag, which continued for 2 or three bags worth. Drunk plenty of water and eventully pee turned back to normal colour.  Overnight all was fine into the night bag. Christmas day, same thing from about 9am off and on through the day. Drinking plenty seems to lighten it from pink tinted to normal. All clear as I went to bed last night, and overnight bag normal, but as soon as i got up and about, its back to pink. Seems a few clots come down the tube over the past couple of days.

So I suppose the exam question is - is this normal, or something I need to go and see someone about.   Many thanks for any advice.

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:44

Agree with Tech Guy Husband had the same thing happen blood loss first few weeks. Sore undercarriage if sitting for too long. Gentle walking about and building up walks will help. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 14:51

Hi normal. Keep drinking and the blood debris and clots should lessen in time. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:00

You are a week post op so this is normal and made more by moving.  Your pee would be more concentrated in the morning. My hubby went from a red night bag to orange then a more normal colour after 2 weeks on Catheter removal. Debris from the area comes out for quite a while. 

Edited by member 26 Dec 2019 at 16:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:14

I have had numerous dilations and a RARP, I was always told Red wine colour should be checked, Rosé is "normally" okay. A small clot can make the urine look quite red.  A pungent smell to the urine is a possible sign of infection.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 26 Dec 2019 at 15:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:49

You may not say that after the removal! Lots of flow and lack of control might happen. Can recommend tena for men premium pants or boots brand rather than pads check for size. May be track suit bottoms. Also a towel for the car seat. Hope that the flow test goes well for you. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:51

Hi BHP

yes pretty normal. Mine got triggered more by sitting in my home office which I guess aggravated all the healing in pelvic region. Walking was also a trigger. Recommendations were firstly not to panic but up the water intake. I had a couple of mild blockages at the bladder end so tried varies things like laying down to use gravity to assist in moving debris on the balloon in bladder which worked with the 3-4 minor blocks I had. Appreciate it’s easy to get concerned as I was on day 5 when at home and it happened. I was lucky to have access to you fab chaps on here plus a urology doctor who had a had catheter for a number of years and two nurse friends.  At one point the blockage was stubborn and I found marching gently inside with an exaggerated knee raise helped move things....think ministry of funny walks :-/

Primarily just keep drinking water and generally sorts it. Absolute worse case if things don’t and gets very uncomfortable it would mean a trip to A&E to get it flushed out. 

hope all resolved. Shout here if you get stuck as this is an oracle of urology knowledge :-)

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:59

It is very disconcerting. We rang the ward and they said what Chris has said here. My husband passed a very big clot quite painful and worrying at the time in week 1. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:07

Tech Guy, Bucks Lady and Chris - this site, and the simple practical advice that you have all given is simply fantastic and has put my mind at ease - thank you. Just another of the trials and tribulations of dealing with this flipping disease!

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:13

Chris was a legend a few times when it’s was early days with me. I guess when we haven’t encountered various new scenarios it’s easy to find it disconcerting. Without this site I would have panicked and gone to A&E with associated long waits. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:21

Incidentally a week or  so after catheter removal I had some drips of blood. One incident I believe brought on by sitting at computer messing around for 90mins. I could feel it was tender downstairs even when sitting on a pillow. Had a few clots and scabs pass without incident and keep up the water intake to flush. Had one of two minor blood spots inside pads but mostly settled. I raised it with the Prof whocannotbenamedonhere last weekend at the one month review meeting and he said it’s to be expected as although the anastomoses is well on the road to healing it’s still a wet wound so takes longer to hear and scabs with break loose and you will get some associates bleeding for a short time. 

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 11:36

Sounds positive. Yeah clots normal as had pink urine, few drops of blood after sitting at desk and long clots both during and after catheter removal. Just keep hydrating to flush it all through and should reduce over time. 

TG

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 14:51

Hi normal. Keep drinking and the blood debris and clots should lessen in time. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:00

You are a week post op so this is normal and made more by moving.  Your pee would be more concentrated in the morning. My hubby went from a red night bag to orange then a more normal colour after 2 weeks on Catheter removal. Debris from the area comes out for quite a while. 

Edited by member 26 Dec 2019 at 16:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:07

Thank you Bucks Lady - that really is very reassuring. Its very disconcerting! Got rid of a large clot just now and colour has returned to normal, so I suspect the clot was colouring things as well.

Thankfully, I've not got any staples. Roll on TWOC on Monday!

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:14

I have had numerous dilations and a RARP, I was always told Red wine colour should be checked, Rosé is "normally" okay. A small clot can make the urine look quite red.  A pungent smell to the urine is a possible sign of infection.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 26 Dec 2019 at 15:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:49

You may not say that after the removal! Lots of flow and lack of control might happen. Can recommend tena for men premium pants or boots brand rather than pads check for size. May be track suit bottoms. Also a towel for the car seat. Hope that the flow test goes well for you. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:51

Hi BHP

yes pretty normal. Mine got triggered more by sitting in my home office which I guess aggravated all the healing in pelvic region. Walking was also a trigger. Recommendations were firstly not to panic but up the water intake. I had a couple of mild blockages at the bladder end so tried varies things like laying down to use gravity to assist in moving debris on the balloon in bladder which worked with the 3-4 minor blocks I had. Appreciate it’s easy to get concerned as I was on day 5 when at home and it happened. I was lucky to have access to you fab chaps on here plus a urology doctor who had a had catheter for a number of years and two nurse friends.  At one point the blockage was stubborn and I found marching gently inside with an exaggerated knee raise helped move things....think ministry of funny walks :-/

Primarily just keep drinking water and generally sorts it. Absolute worse case if things don’t and gets very uncomfortable it would mean a trip to A&E to get it flushed out. 

hope all resolved. Shout here if you get stuck as this is an oracle of urology knowledge :-)

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 15:59

It is very disconcerting. We rang the ward and they said what Chris has said here. My husband passed a very big clot quite painful and worrying at the time in week 1. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:07

Tech Guy, Bucks Lady and Chris - this site, and the simple practical advice that you have all given is simply fantastic and has put my mind at ease - thank you. Just another of the trials and tribulations of dealing with this flipping disease!

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:13

Chris was a legend a few times when it’s was early days with me. I guess when we haven’t encountered various new scenarios it’s easy to find it disconcerting. Without this site I would have panicked and gone to A&E with associated long waits. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:21

Incidentally a week or  so after catheter removal I had some drips of blood. One incident I believe brought on by sitting at computer messing around for 90mins. I could feel it was tender downstairs even when sitting on a pillow. Had a few clots and scabs pass without incident and keep up the water intake to flush. Had one of two minor blood spots inside pads but mostly settled. I raised it with the Prof whocannotbenamedonhere last weekend at the one month review meeting and he said it’s to be expected as although the anastomoses is well on the road to healing it’s still a wet wound so takes longer to hear and scabs with break loose and you will get some associates bleeding for a short time. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2019 at 16:44

Agree with Tech Guy Husband had the same thing happen blood loss first few weeks. Sore undercarriage if sitting for too long. Gentle walking about and building up walks will help. 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2019 at 10:08

I think I have just passed a clot this morning. After TWOC yesterday. A bit disconcerting after having little or no bother with Catheter in place. Good to know it's all normal. Just trying to get the water intake/out balance without flooding the house haha.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 08:09

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I think I have just passed a clot this morning. After TWOC yesterday. A bit disconcerting after having little or no bother with Catheter in place. Good to know it's all normal. Just trying to get the water intake/out balance without flooding the house haha.

I was getting clots and minor blockages at 3 weeks + post op. As for pink urine, pink traces were visible (in last few drips of flow) right up to 6 weeks. 

Kev.

Edited by member 29 Dec 2019 at 08:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 10:08

Cheers Kev. Good to know all is per normal. Just getting used to the pads. Full night's sleep without waking once. Very little in bads only one with nappy and only the pad wet. Continuing to do the pelvic floor exercises and think I am getting the hang. Decided to venture out today for a short walk.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2019 at 11:36

Sounds positive. Yeah clots normal as had pink urine, few drops of blood after sitting at desk and long clots both during and after catheter removal. Just keep hydrating to flush it all through and should reduce over time. 

TG