I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Fundraising opportunity?

User
Posted 30 Dec 2019 at 22:56

Someone posted on Twitter that they were going to fundraise for a charity by shaving all their hair off for 90 days.

it occurred to me that as I’m about to lose my hair anyway, I might do the same! 

However, would it be ethical to fundraise in that way without declaring that the baldness would happen ‘naturally’ over that time period?

If the chemo was mentioned I’m not sure people would (or should) donate - though a few might.

Views welcome!

User
Posted 01 Jan 2020 at 11:44

I think anything you do for Pcuk with good intent is fine.

i guess you could shave it all before it starts to fall out? In my case I had a lump of spam on top anyway and whilst chemo reduced the hair on the sides it did not take it all so going for it now is a good idea. 

In my experience of fundraising for Pcuk, most people sponsor me because they know me and there by the grace of god it’s me not them. The actual challenge, may add a conversation piece but if this is your first time to ask for cash it’s irrelevent. If you only get £20 it’s £20 more than the charity had before plus , most importantly, when you look in the mirror at a bald you, it’s not because you have cancer but it’s because you have done something to help others!

go for it and post how you get on here. Everyone on this site wants an end to prostate cancer and I applaud anyone who does something to help, head shave, walk, run, cake bake, poker night, plant sale, whatever our cause needs all the help it can get!

happy new year to all

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 01 Jan 2020 at 13:16
I think it would be more ethical to be up front about the fact that you are having your head shaved in readiness for chemo; I would sponsor someone in that circumstance but would feel rather peeved if I sponsored someone for shaving their head and then found out the full context later.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Jan 2020 at 11:44

I think anything you do for Pcuk with good intent is fine.

i guess you could shave it all before it starts to fall out? In my case I had a lump of spam on top anyway and whilst chemo reduced the hair on the sides it did not take it all so going for it now is a good idea. 

In my experience of fundraising for Pcuk, most people sponsor me because they know me and there by the grace of god it’s me not them. The actual challenge, may add a conversation piece but if this is your first time to ask for cash it’s irrelevent. If you only get £20 it’s £20 more than the charity had before plus , most importantly, when you look in the mirror at a bald you, it’s not because you have cancer but it’s because you have done something to help others!

go for it and post how you get on here. Everyone on this site wants an end to prostate cancer and I applaud anyone who does something to help, head shave, walk, run, cake bake, poker night, plant sale, whatever our cause needs all the help it can get!

happy new year to all

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 01 Jan 2020 at 13:16
I think it would be more ethical to be up front about the fact that you are having your head shaved in readiness for chemo; I would sponsor someone in that circumstance but would feel rather peeved if I sponsored someone for shaving their head and then found out the full context later.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard