Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Cycling good or bad

User
Posted 02 Jan 2020 at 16:52

Hi,

I have advanced PC and have just bought a exercise bike and enjoy cycling.

Are they going to affect my prostate and as the title above is it good or bad.

thanks richard

User
Posted 02 Jan 2020 at 18:06
Cycle away! It is not going to affect your prostate cancer. The only thing to be cautious about is if you have bone mets, keep in mind that those bones will break more easily so try not to fall off at speed.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jan 2020 at 18:18
The only situation in which cycling is discouraged is for men who've recently had a prostatectomy.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 11:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The only situation in which cycling is discouraged is for men who've recently had a prostatectomy.

Best wishes,

Chris

I had mine removed at the beginning of June, and have multiple positive margins. Is it safe for me to ride a bike? I'm worried that any residual traces might be encouraged to grow due to the saddle manipulation.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 11:56
Chris, the only reason that many surgeons advise their RP patients not to ride a bike for a while after the op is to give the nerve bundles the best chance of repairing and erectile function to be regained. Even then, not all surgeons believe it makes a difference and those that do seem to vary between advice to wait 3 and 6 months. Mr P asked John to stay out of the saddle for 6 months so he did.

There is no research to suggest that cycling can spread or aggravate prostate cancer cells. In fact, the opposite could be true - a large piece of EU research with professional cyclists found that although they have slightly elevated PSA readings, they are no more likely to develop prostate cancer than any other male. Cycling is a great way to keep fit - go for it. If you are concerned, treat yourself to a prostate-friendly saddle, available from most cycle accessory shops.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 12:54
As Lynn says there are prostate friendly saddles available. I have a couple - one with a groove along the centre the other with nothing at all in the centre.
User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 22:41
Bear with me Richard, I’ll post on here what I have been doing. As a club cyclist you might have a better idea than me though. The beauty of using an exercise bike or turbo trainer is that if you tire easily you can dial back the resistance to something you can cope with.

I had a pretty interesting and encouraging chat on the phone with one of the physios at the Cancer Centre I get my checkups at. As a consequence of that l have arranged to meet him after my next appointment later this month so may have some ideas aimed at PCa patients.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 11:32

Hi again Richard,

I have just come across this at bicycling.com. It covers almost the same strengthening exercises I have been doing in rotation with the ones on my turbo trainer. https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20036554/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-cyclists/

I’m using 2 x 2kg and 2 x 3kg weights but you would be better starting lighter or with no weight at all initially.
Take it slowly and don’t try to go gung-ho at it but try to remember to engage the muscle groups involved in each exercise.

I hope this helps and I’ll give you an idea what I have been doing on the bike soon.

All the best

Dave

I have just noticed from one of your previous posts that you are already doing strengthening and cardio exercises!

Edited by member 05 Jan 2020 at 11:56  | Reason: Additional text

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Jan 2020 at 18:06
Cycle away! It is not going to affect your prostate cancer. The only thing to be cautious about is if you have bone mets, keep in mind that those bones will break more easily so try not to fall off at speed.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2020 at 18:18

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 11:12
Hi Richard,

I too have advanced PCa. I do regular high intensity and aerobic exercises on a turbo trainer using my road bike. My consultant thinks it’s a great idea and has reassured me that it can’t affect the cancer. Go for it and have fun. I have quite a selection of workouts if you are interested.

All the best

Dave

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 11:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Best wishes,

Chris

I had mine removed at the beginning of June, and have multiple positive margins. Is it safe for me to ride a bike? I'm worried that any residual traces might be encouraged to grow due to the saddle manipulation.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 11:56
Chris, the only reason that many surgeons advise their RP patients not to ride a bike for a while after the op is to give the nerve bundles the best chance of repairing and erectile function to be regained. Even then, not all surgeons believe it makes a difference and those that do seem to vary between advice to wait 3 and 6 months. Mr P asked John to stay out of the saddle for 6 months so he did.

There is no research to suggest that cycling can spread or aggravate prostate cancer cells. In fact, the opposite could be true - a large piece of EU research with professional cyclists found that although they have slightly elevated PSA readings, they are no more likely to develop prostate cancer than any other male. Cycling is a great way to keep fit - go for it. If you are concerned, treat yourself to a prostate-friendly saddle, available from most cycle accessory shops.

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 12:54
As Lynn says there are prostate friendly saddles available. I have a couple - one with a groove along the centre the other with nothing at all in the centre.
User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 13:30

Hi Dave,

Yes i would be interested in some workouts,used to be a club cyclist but i get tiered quickly nowadays.

Richard 

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 22:41
Bear with me Richard, I’ll post on here what I have been doing. As a club cyclist you might have a better idea than me though. The beauty of using an exercise bike or turbo trainer is that if you tire easily you can dial back the resistance to something you can cope with.

I had a pretty interesting and encouraging chat on the phone with one of the physios at the Cancer Centre I get my checkups at. As a consequence of that l have arranged to meet him after my next appointment later this month so may have some ideas aimed at PCa patients.

Dave

User
Posted 05 Jan 2020 at 11:32

Hi again Richard,

I have just come across this at bicycling.com. It covers almost the same strengthening exercises I have been doing in rotation with the ones on my turbo trainer. https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20036554/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-cyclists/

I’m using 2 x 2kg and 2 x 3kg weights but you would be better starting lighter or with no weight at all initially.
Take it slowly and don’t try to go gung-ho at it but try to remember to engage the muscle groups involved in each exercise.

I hope this helps and I’ll give you an idea what I have been doing on the bike soon.

All the best

Dave

I have just noticed from one of your previous posts that you are already doing strengthening and cardio exercises!

Edited by member 05 Jan 2020 at 11:56  | Reason: Additional text