I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

post turp problems

User
Posted 02 Jan 2020 at 18:45

hi folks, hope you all had a great christmas and new year , for me personally just glad to get rid of 2019 !

after nearly 7 years of "watchful waiting " for prostate cancer which thankfully seems to be very slow growing i have recently had a TURP operation as a result of going into retention as a side effect of non related operation which needed general anaesthetic . I am now seven weeks from op and my flow is greatly improved but this brings with it its own problems ,i am having real problems with urge incontinence because my flow is so improved instead of previously ,"needing to go ,but having time to get there," I now have no time to even try to hold it in I REALLY need to get there . I am trying pelvic floor exercises but does anyone have any experience of this or any ideas if this will settle? Also even after 7weeks I am still finding it sore to pass urine burning at end of penis its not too bad when i am in full flow but at times when i am having " a wee pee " it can really be burning . would  love to get any comments and or advice on these subjects .cheers 

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 00:39
Some basic suggestions - sorry if I am stating the obvious:

- cut out caffeine to see if it improves things

- drink plenty of cranberry juice (proper stuff not 'from concentrate') - the supermarkets are filled with fresh & frozen cranberries right now so easy to stock up and make your own juice at home

- ask GP to check for urine infection, thrush and / or cystitis; it sounds more like cystitis or (if you had a catheter) an allergic / irritant reaction to the catheter tube

- if it doesn't get any better, ask whether there is a bladder training service in your area; it may be that all the years of not needing to rush have made your brain lazy so it doesn't recognise the signals early enough

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Jan 2020 at 10:08

Hi Lyn thanks for that info ,will deffo try cranberry its got to be better than diluting vimto ! I will look into the cystitis or thrush thing as it would be great to get some relief from burning and then also hopefully allow me to concentrate on controlling my flow a bit better.Also trying my best to do some pelvic floor exersices thanks for the advise